This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
50 Tofu and Tempeh Recipes
Tofu and tempeh are amazing, plant based sources of protein and today I’m sharing 50 Tofu and Tempeh Recipes to try! The recipes include breakfast ideas, main dishes, sweet desserts (seriously!), snacks and light bites and even smoothies.
Tofu often gets a bad rap as a flavourless, bland, mushy substance but when prepared the right way, it can become the most amazing blank canvas for your favourite flavours and sauces! Additionally, many people don’t realize that tofu comes in many forms including silken, firm, extra firm, high protein, pressed and so on. The number of ways you can enjoy tofu is exponential!
Tempeh is another soy product but slightly less processed than tofu. The whole beans are preserved (you can see them in the slices!) and it is a fermented product, making it good for the gut as well. It can have an obvious fermented flavour to it sometimes, and has a bit a meatier texture compared to tofu.
Types of tofu and tempeh
As mentioned, there are many kinds of tofu and usually they vary in firmness. Silken tofu is wonderful in smoothies, baked goods, sauces, dressings and soups. It’s very easy to hide and adds creaminess to any dish. Firmer tofu varieties can be used to make scrambles, stand in for animal proteins and be marinated however you’d like. You can also find fried tofu puffs and many related soy products like yuba that greatly vary in texture.
Tempeh is usually quite universal but you can find tempeh made with added grains instead of 100% soybeans and pre-marinated tempeh. One thing to note about tempeh, however, is that you can find tempeh made from other legumes and grains. Chickpea and black bean tempeh would be amazing alternatives for those avoiding soy, for example.
Ways to use
One of my favourite ways to use tofu is as a protein replacement in a standard dish. Chicken, fish, beef and most other animal based protein sources can be replaced with tofu! It can make a plant based meal feel a little more complete, and is an excellent addition to many dishes.
Tempeh is slightly less versatile but tastes amazing when prepared baked, fried, breaded, marinated etc. Actually, let’s just get into the list of recipes because it’ll be so much tofu and tempeh recipe inspiration!
Start your day with a protein packed breakfast! Tofu works in both savoury and sweet breakfast recipes.
- Simple Tofu Scramble Recipe
- Pumpkin Chai Smoothie by My Darling Vegan
- Tempeh Broccoli and Sweet Potato Hash
- Tofu “Eggs” Benedict by Hot for Food
- Sundried Tomato Spinach Quiche by Oh She Glows
- Tofu Pancakes by Anna Banana
- Strawberry Banana Tofu Smoothie by WellVegan
- Freezer Vegan Breakfast Burrito by Emilie Eats
Tofu can be a great plant based protein to center your meal around. You can treat it like you would an animal based protein and get creative with textures, seasoning and more! Here some savoury tofu and tempeh recipes that would be great main dishes.
- Almond Walnut Crusted Tofu
- Teriyaki Tofu + Broccoli Stirfry
- Everything Bagel Crusted Tofu Sandwich
- Vegan ‘Chicken” Noodle Soup
- Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini Ravioli
- Tempeh and Mushroom “Bolognese”
- Indonesian Inspired Fried Rice
- High Protein Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Baked Citrus Tempeh by Nutrition Stripped
- Easy Soyrizo Tofu by Okonomi Kitchen
- Kung Pao Tofu by Okonomi Kitchen
- Black Pepper Tofu Stir Fry by From My Bowl
- Herb Crusted Tofu by Simply Quinoa
- Vegan KFC Style Chicken by Sweet Simple Vegan
- Tofu Egg Salad Sandwich by Vegan Yack Attack
- Lemongrass Tofu by Viet Vegan
- Vegan Spam by Cheap Lazy Vegan
- Indian Butter Tofu Paneer by Vegan Richa
- Tofu Karaage by Liz Miu
- BBQ Tofu and Collard Green Empanada by Sweet Potato Soul
Snacks & Sides
Finger foods, light dips, sauces and sides to make with tofu and tempeh! Using tofu and tempeh adds a nice boost of nutrition to any dish.
- Tempeh Tenders
- Rainbow Tempeh Rolls
- Easy 2 Minute “Yogurt” by Okonomi Kitchen
- Vegan “Mayo” by From My Bowl
- Vegan Potato Skins with Tempeh Bacon by Bakerita
- Herb and Garlic Cream Cheese by Hot for Food
- Vegan Cottage Cheese by Ela Vegan
- Crispy Tofu with Sweet Chili Sauce by Vegan Richa
- Baked Tempeh Tots by Flora & Vino
- BBQ Tempeh Chips by Eating Bird Food
- Oven Baked Tofu Fries by Flora & Vino
- Tofu Satay with Peanut Sauce by Cupful of Kale
- Tofu Katsu Noodle Bowl by Woon Heng
- 4-Ingredient Jerk Tofu by It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
Can you believe you can make dessert out of tofu? It’s easy to hide, and is great for creating creamy texture and adding healthy fat to a sweet treat.
- High Protein Chocolate Mousse
- High Protein Banana Pudding
- Healthy High Protein Pumpkin Pie
- Dark Chocolate Cheesecake by Ambitious Kitchen
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cup Pie by Minimalist Baker
- Golden Chocolate Tofu Brownies by Pickled Plum
- Lemon Poppyseed Cheesecake by Cinnamon and Coriander
- Vegan Pumpkin Creme Brûlée by Natalie Jo
If you try any of these tofu and tempeh recipes out, don’t forget to tag the wonderful creators and share with me on Instagram @veggiekins so I can see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I love when you share your reviews in the comments below, and if you make any fun substitutions, let me know how it worked out below too.