Truly the Best Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies!

I know this is a bold statement but these really are the Best Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies I’ve had to date. And I’ve had a lot of cookies in my lifetime. What makes these cookies so good? The texture is the perfect level of chewy, with edges that are slightly crisp and if you’ve ever enjoyed the soft chocolate chip cookies from Mrs. Fields or Subway Sandwich, these cookies are on par. Seriously!

Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies Veggiekins

But perhaps the best part about them is that they’re just as delicious (if not more so) than those famous chocolate chip cookies even though they’re made with healthy ingredients. They are not only vegan and gluten free, but also made with no refined sugars, and no added oils or margarinealmost too good to be true. The recipe calls for 10 ingredients, and a little bit of love and the result is a chocolate chip cookie that can’t be beat!

Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies Veggiekins

I made some modifications to my earliest chocolate chip cookie recipe, which is still delicious, but I’m going to be honest and call this the cooler, older sister recipe to the original. Or let’s call it the 2020 version 2 cookie with more process detail and even better texture.

Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies Veggiekins

I tried my best to keep the ingredients fairly simple, and instead of a complex 7 ingredient gluten free flour blend, landed on a combination of just 2 flours–oat and almond. The remaining ingredients are pretty straight forward, and I’ll include some substitution notes in the recipe card below (though I highly recommend sticking to the recipe as noted for best results! I can’t promise best ever cookies otherwise 😉).

Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies Veggiekins

What’s in the Best Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies?

• Creamy almond butter
  • Maple syrup
  • Coconut sugar
  • Flax egg
  • Oat flour
  • Almond flour
  • Vanilla extract
  • Baking powder + baking soda
  • Chocolate chips (of course!)

Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Veggiekins

Secrets to success

To make the Best Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies, I strongly recommend using a nonstick baking mat or parchment paper. They can be somewhat delicate, especially right as they come out of the oven and you’ll risk breaking them if you try to scrape them off of foil or directly from a baking pan surface.

Although baking time is short, keep in mind the cookies will continue to cook for a little, even after removed from the oven. Don’t be too tempted to add too much additional bake time as you’ll end up with not-so-chewy cookies. Still delicious, but if chewy texture is your thing, bake lightly!

Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies Veggiekins

As I’ve made this recipe a few times now, I’ve noticed dough texture can vary based on room temperature, and also almond butter used. Opt for a creamy, roasted almond butter (with no added oils or sugars) and if making cookies on a hotter day, you may find your dough a little sticky. If so, you can add a touch of additional oat flour (by the tablespoon) or refrigerate dough for about 10 minutes before prepping to bake.

Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies Veggiekins

Finally, as you’re placing your cookie dough onto the baking sheet, if you run into any issues with dough sticking to your hand, try refrigerating or rolling with lightly damp hands. Work quickly, as the heat in your hands does warm the dough as well. Make flat cookie shaped discs, keeping in mind they will spread a little bit.

If you like this recipe, try…

If you try this recipe out, tag me on Instagram @veggiekins so I can see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I love when you share your reviews in the comments below, and if you make any fun substitutions, let me know how it worked out below too.

clock clock icon cutlery cutlery icon flag flag icon folder folder icon instagram instagram icon pinterest pinterest icon print print icon squares squares icon
Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies Veggiekins

Best Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies (vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, oil free)

• Author: Remy
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 10 minutes
  • Total Time: 20 minutes
  • Yield: 12-13 cookies 1x
  • Category: desserts
  • Method: baking
  • Diet: Vegan

Description

The Best Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies that are perfectly chewy! Vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, oil free made in one bowl.

Scale

Ingredients

Instructions

1. Start by pre-heating your oven to 350F while you prepare your cookie dough.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk almond butter, maple syrup, coconut sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Gently fold in your flax egg with a spatula.
  3. Next, sift in all your dry ingredients (excluding chocolate chips), folding until dough is even and starts to pull away from edges of the bowl. See reference photo for texture. Add chocolate chips and refrigerate dough if needed (see “secrets to success”).
  4. Scoop about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough and quickly roll into a ball shape* then lightly flatten onto a non-stick baking mat lined tray. Leave about 2 inches between cookies as they will spread a little bit as they bake.
  5. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until tops are lightly golden brown and edges are cooked.* Remove from oven and let cool before lifting off the tray (don’t worry, they’ll still be soft and chewy!).

Notes

* If you have issues with dough sticking to your hand, refrigerate, and work quickly with lightly damp hands. You can also add additional oat flour by the tbsp, but do so sparingly because it will result in a drier cookie.

** Keep in mind cookies will continue to cook for a few minutes after removed from oven and will firm up as they cool. I like to bake mine for exactly 10 minutes.

*** To store cookies, make sure they are completely cool, and store in an airtight container with a piece of parchment paper between 2 cookies if stacking. You can also freeze them this way to enjoy later!

Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, cookies, chocolate, dessert, oil free, almond butter, refined sugar free, one bowl, under 30 minutes

pin it for later!

This post may contain affiliate links.

Filed under: Eat, Sweet Treats

BY Remy • May 9, 2020

Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies Veggiekins

1. Carolina says:
    Hi Remy!! Can I replace the Blanched almond flour for another one? Thank you! Kisses from Brazil!
    • Remy says:
      Hi Carolina! I have had some people let me know they substituted it with brown rice flour, and it worked! Let me know what you end up doing. xo!
  2. Miki says:
    I made this today and they’re amazing! Even tho I used peanut butter instead of almond butter because I only had PB at home. Other than that I exactly followed your recipe😄 the very best part is it doesn’t required any oil. Thank you for such a great recipe😘😘😘

3. Suzanne says:
    These are sooooooo delicious and super easy to make! I’m always a little wary on vegan cookie recipes, but these turned out so chewy and flavorful, they taste even better than a regular cookie! Thanks sm!

• Remy says:
      I'm so glad!! Thanks so much Suzanne :) I feel the same way haha, I have been on this mission to find a gooood healthy cookie for so long and I love how these turned out!
  4. Hailey says:
    Such yummy cookies! Taste like oatmeal chocolate chip and are so chewy!

5. LasVegan says:
    Yes, I made this recipe! Thank you so much for it. The cookies turned out PERFECT! Had to substitute almond butter with a mix of pnb and tahini and ground up my own oat flour from some rolled oats. Que bueno!

6. Lauren says:
    Love this recipe! Making my second batch as we speak!

7. Fatin says:
    I just made them and they are absolutely delicious. I replaced both the flaxseed egg and coconut sugar with one whole egg and brown sugar. It worked great 👏🏼 Thanks for sharing this recipe
  8. Navkiran Brar says:
    These cookies are incredible! I cannot believe they are vegan, gf, and refined sugar free. Even my husband who has a major sweet tooth was pleasantly surprised and ate more than half the batch! Will definitely be making these often. Thank you!

9. Stella says:
    This recipe sounds so great! However, can i substitute applesauce for the almond butter? Or are there any other substitutes since I don't have any almond butter or peanut butter right now?
  10. Avie says:
    Hi Remy! Thinking of making some but I don't have almond flour at the moment. Can I replace it with more oat flour/all purpose flour? Thank you!
    • Remy says:
      That should be ok! Just make sure the batter doesn't feel too dry, if so, may need to add extra almond butter to account for that since almond flour is higher in fat content :)
  11. D says:
    i ran out of vanilla extract! :( will these taste as good if i leave it out or is there something i can sub it for? i really want to try these
  12. Ashley R Golden says:
    I just made these but I subbed the almond butter for peanut butter and almond flour with whole wheat flour. These are soooo good! Will definitely be making again. ! Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe!

• Remy says:
      Hi Ashley! Thanks so much for your review, also so great to know they work with whole wheat flour. Awesome! :)
  13. Shenoa says:
    Hi Remy! Can you use normal plain flour instead of oat and almond flour?
    • Remy says:
      Hi Shenoa! I haven't tried it myself so it's hard to say, but I've seen a few comments on my YouTube video that note they used regular flour!
  14. Sarah Guay-Tremblay says:
    Bonjour! Merci pour cette belle recette! :) Just want to share that caroub chipits Works very well, very great site with Nice recipe thank you!💚

15. Ruch says:
    Hi, thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I wanted to ask if I can substitute oat flour with something else or leave it out completely? Oat flour isn’t easily available where I live. Thank you.
    • Remy says:
      Hi Ruch! I unfortunately haven't tried with other flours so can't really say, however if you can find oats and have a high speed blender, you can finely grind rolled oats and then sift it to form a fine flour :)
  16. Katey says:
    I made these last night and Omgosh! They are SOOO good!!! Tbh I thought they'd be just alright (like the other billion recipes for healthyish cookies I've tried) but no these are freaking delicious! A little crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside!! Certainly the best vegan/gf chocolate cookie recipe, Thank you!!

• Remy says:
      Wooo!! So happy you enjoyed Katey and honoured to get your approval on these ;) They're my personal favourite cookies too!!
  17. Would give it 10/5 stars if I could!! I've never been able to find a great vegan/GF chocolate chip cookie recipe until THIS ONE!! I am not kidding I think this will be my 8 or 9th time making it. They turn out amazing every single time and the ingredients are so simple! Thank you for this AMAZING recipe Remy!! Your friend Maddie from @foodiesontherhode :))

18. Stacey says:
    I love this recipe so much!!! I made these with regular all-purpose flour (just a couple tablespoons less than called for) and they turned out great. It was easy to make and the cookies are super addicting. I normally don't gravitate towards cookies with a softer texture, but these are an exception. I look forward to the next batch I make. (:

19. Cindy says:
    Hi, just wondering if the maple syrup is necessary? Thanks!
  20. Lesley says:
    OH MY LORD. These have got to be the BEST cookies I've ever made and tasted!! Thank you so much!

21. Angella F says:
    Hi. I don't want to use almond butter and flaxseed. Is there any subtitute? If I use oil, how much measurement that I need?

22. Ava says:
    These are fucking delicious but I was wondering, do you know how many calories it has? I'm trying a low calorie diet but I don't know how much calories it has. It was delicious tho and you can eat the batter by it self and it will still taste good.

23. Alex Carroll says:
    Hi! I just made these and they are amazing! Thank you so much for the recipe I love your blog so much! Also I substituted coconut flour instead of almond and oat flour and it turned out great! Just had to add some almond milk to wet the batter :)

24. Angel Wang says:
    They were great! I'm not vegan, but they tasted so similar to a normal chocolate chip cookie! I was so impressed that I finished them all because they were so delicious...

25. J says:
    Just made them and they were a little too sticky to make into balls... tried refrigerating but worked better when i added a tbsp of Oat Flour. Made them as suggested, but I added a scoop of extra collagen to the dry ingredients, banged the baking sheet about halfway through ( they were looking a tad cakey in appearance), and added some flakey maldon salt on top. They deflated and taste absolutely delicious! Thank you Remy for your amazing recipe :)
  26. Joy says:
    Hi! This cookie recipe is awesome! How many calories approx does each cookie have though?
    • Remy says:
      I don't do calories in my recipes, but you're always welcome to calculate it as all the ingredients and quantities are all listed :)
  27. Marina Lorinczi says:
    Omg so amazingly tasty! Just baked them today. Couldn’t stop eating them! Yum!

28. Jasmine says:
    I'm so glad to have stumbled across a recipe that uses very accessible ingredients! These cookies taste amazing; my mom and I really enjoy them. Thank you so much! I will definitely be making these from now on, for both family and friends...and of course myself :)

29. Youna says:
    OMG!! They turned out sooo delicious !! I only had a tbsp of almond butter and the rest was PB... but I will bake them again, and again, and again!! Thank you very much (all my family liked these 😊 )

30. Emi says:
    Hi I have been looking for a good healthy chocolate chip recipe for the longest time and all of the recipes have been ok but these look sooooo good and I was wondering if I could replace the coconut sugar with maple syrup?
    • Remy says:
      Hi Emi, you can substitute it with brown sugar, or other granulated sugar as I noted in the recipe. The ingredients are completely different in consistency (granulated sugar vs. liquid maple syrup) so it cannot work as a substitute. With that said, the recipe was developed with both ingredients for a reason and the final product is not overkill in sweetness if that's what you're worried about :)
  31. Emi says:
    Can I use maple syrup instead of sugar
  32. Mina says:
    Hey Remy, thank you for this amazing recipe! They remind me of Pillsbury chocolate chip cookies when they're fresh from the oven. My fam keeps wanting me to make them 😭.

33. Charlotte says:
    My go to!! Family favorite <33 Thank you Remy for this recipe!