This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
Indonesian Inspired Fried Rice!
We’re back with another recipe by Mo, one of his go to meals, Indonesian Inspired Fried Rice! With Southeast Asian flavours, spice and citrus, this is not your average fried rice. It’s veggie packed, and made with tempeh for a boost of plant protein. It all comes together in one pan, or wok, and is a fantastic way to use up leftovers in the fridge.
The level of spice is customizable, as are the veggies, but we’re sharing a base recipe that you can use as a starting point. It’s reminiscent of meals we ate together in Bali, and actually a dish he ate often growing up as a child living in Southeast Asia. We hope you’ll enjoy this twist on a simple dish!
What’s in this Indonesian Inspired Fried Rice?
- Day old long grain rice
- Onions, garlic and ginger
- Veggies like carrots and bell peppers
- Chili pepper for spice
- Kecap manis (an Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- Touch of sesame oil
- Tamarind paste
- Peanuts, bean sprouts, chili flakes and green onion to garnish
Secrets to success
If you’re not able to find Kecap Manis easily, you can substitute by using regular gluten free soy sauce with some added coconut sugar for sweetness. Alternatively, you could use coconut aminos, or liquid aminos as well!
Feel free to customize the veggie mix with what you have on hand, and if you’re not a fan of too much spice, do modify accordingly.
If you like this recipe, try…
If you try this recipe out, tag me on Instagram @veggiekins so I can see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I love when you share your reviews in the comments below, and if you make any fun substitutions, let me know how it worked out below too.
Indonesian Inspired Fried Rice (vegan, gluten free)
- 1 1/2 red onions
- 4-5 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 1/4 cups carrots finely diced
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 1 thumb sized red chili minced (adjust to taste)
- 400 grams tempeh diced
- 1 cup mushrooms of choice sliced
- 2 1/2 cups cooked long grain white rice
- neutral oil as needed
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3-4 tbsp kecap manis Indonesian sweet soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp tamarind paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- to garnish
- crushed roasted peanuts
- raw bean sprouts
- dried chili flakes
- sliced green onion
- wedge of lime
- In a large pan or wok, sauté onions, bell pepper and carrots in neutral oil until tender and aromatic. Then add garlic and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add tempeh and mushrooms along with chili pepper, sesame oil, kecap manis and tamarind paste. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Finally add rice and stir to evenly distribute sauce, breaking down any chunks. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and additional kecap manis as desired.
- To serve, garnish with fresh bean sprouts, crushed peanuts, chili flakes and a wedge of lime.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.