A delicious way to enjoy tofu–Almond Walnut Crusted Tofu! This crunchy, flavourful tofu recipe is vegan, gluten free, grain free and oil free.
- 1 package extra firm tofu (roughly 15oz)
- 1/4 cup rice flour, arrowroot starch (or cornstarch)
- 1/4 cup soymilk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 2/3 cups roasted almonds
- 1/3 cups roasted walnuts
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
to serve with
- rice noodles
- bok choy
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees while you prepare your tofu. If using an airfryer, please see notes below*
- Next, drain and press tofu using a tofu press, or wrapping your tofu in a kitchen towel and placing a heavy weight on top (a frying pan does a great job!).
- Prepare your nuts by dry toasting on a frying pan for a few minutes on medium heat. Continuously toss by shaking the pan, or using a spatula, so as not to burn. Even though nuts are already roasted, giving it a toast will help to bring out flavour and remove any excess moisture. You can skip this step but I highly recommend it! After toasting, let cool for a few minutes and blitz nuts in a food processor until mealy–don’t blend too much or it will turn into nut butter! Think breadcrumb texture.
- Next, prepare 3 small bowls. In bowl 1, add rice flour. In bowl 2, add soymilk mixed with gluten free soy sauce. Finally, in bowl 3, add your ground nut mix with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and salt.
- Now take tofu and slice into cubes. I like to slice into thirds horizontally as I find the smaller the tofu piece, the more flavour and crust per bite!
- Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking mat and begin to coat tofu. Grab a tofu cube, coat in rice flour, quickly dip into milk mixture and finally toss and coat in the nut mixture. Transfer coated pieces onto baking sheet and repeat until all the tofu is coated.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, flipping at the halfway point, until tofu is crisp and golden brown. If using an airfryer bake at 375F for about 12-15 min, flipping or shaking basket at the halfway point.
Keywords: asian, tofu, high protein, vegan, grain free, baked, airfryer, gluten free, wfpb, oil free, dinner, main dishes