This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
Matcha Tres Leches Cake (Dairy Free, Vegan)
- stand mixer or use hand mixer
- 8×8 cake pan
- superfine sifter
- 1 cup soymilk unsweetened
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup aquafaba chickpea brine
- 1/3 cup neutral oil
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt kosher
- 1 3/4 cup cake flour or use gluten free all purpose flour
- 3 tsp ceremonial grade matcha powder more for dusting
- 1 15 oz can dairy free evaporated milk I used evaporated coconut milk from Nature's Charm brand
- 1 15 oz can condensed coconut or oat milk
- 2 cups plant milk unsweetened
- sprinkles as desired, optional
- coconut whip to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line your baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add lemon juice to soy milk and let sit.
Whip the Aquafaba
- Transfer the aquafaba into the stand mixer and whip on high until frothy and soft peaks form. The mixture should expand in volume after whipping. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Prepare Cake Batter
- Add the soy milk and lemon juice mixture to the stand mixer along with oil, cane sugar, baking soda, vanilla and salt. Mix until smooth and incorporated.
- Sift in cake flour and matcha powder and mix again until smooth. Turn the stand mixer off.
- Add in 1 cup of the whipped aquafaba mixture and gently fold it into the batter using a spatula.
- Transfer the mixture into your lined baking pan and bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool for at least an hour.
- Using a chopstick or fork, pierce holes into the cake.
Add Milk Mixture
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together condensed milk, evaporated milk and plant milk of choice until smooth. Pour the mixture over the cake in parts and allow the cake to absorb the moisture. Add more milk until the cake is completely soaked and allow to sit. You may not end up using all of your milk mixture.
Prepare for Serving
- When ready to serve, spread a layer of coconut whip or other whipped topping of choice and dust with matcha powder if desired. Add sprinkles, if desired and enjoy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.