- 1lb fresh or frozen rice cake/tteok*
- 5 cups filtered water
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 4×4″ piece of dried kelp
- 5 oz yuba sheets
- 3 green onions
- 1/4 cup gochujang (I use this gluten free variety)
- 2 tbsp gochugaru, dried korean chili flakes
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp gluten free soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
Prep your ingredients
- If using frozen rice cakes, soak your rice cakes in a bowl of cool water to help break them apart. If using fresh rice cakes that are a little dry or a few days old, you can also soak them to help soften them up.
- Slice green onions into three sections lengthwise (separate the green tops and white stem). Then, thinly slice the white stems lengthwise. Reserve half of the green tops and slice them diagonally to use for garnish.
- Slice your yuba into small squares, then into triangle shapes to resemble fishcake.
Prepare your tteokbokki sauce
- In a small bowl, mix gochujang, gochugaru, coconut sugar, gluten free soy sauce and toasted sesame oil to form a paste.
Assemble the tteokbokki
- Add water to a saucepan or pot along with shiitake mushrooms and kelp. Bring to a low simmer and cook for about 15 minutes. Remove the mushrooms and kelp and set aside (you can use add these, thinly sliced, back into the dish later or just discard).
- Drain your rice cakes and add them to the pot along with the yuba, green onion stems and green tops. Bring the mixture to a low boil.
- Add in your seasoning paste and gently stir in to make sure it fully dissolves. Continue to cook until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. After about 10 to 15 minutes, the sauce should be nice and glossy and the rice cakes are cooked through.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds if desired and enjoy immediately.
*look for the cylindrical shaped rice cakes, which are made for this dish
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: side dishes
- Method: boiling
- Cuisine: Korean
Keywords: tteokbokki, ddukbokki, korean rice cake, rice cake, spicy rice cake, korean, street food, korean food, vegan korean