Korean Vegetable Pancakes with Pea Shoots (vegan, gluten free)
This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
These Korean Vegetable Pancakes are made with pea shoots, zucchini, and gluten-free flour so they’re crispy on the outside and soft and tender in the center. Served with a gluten-free tamari dipping sauce for a delicious appetizer or side dish!
There are many different kinds of pancakes in Korean cuisine. they’re always crispy and golden on the outside and thick in the center. And these vegan veggie-packed pancakes are no different. if you love Korean pancakes, you must try this recipe!
Ingredients for Pea Shoot Pancakes
Here’s what you need for this easy pancake recipe:
- Pea shoots. You can use any kind of microgreen that’s available to you.
- Scallions and shallots. for the signature allium flavor base.
- Zucchini. Yellow squash will also work.
- Flour and cornstarch. You can use regular all-purpose flour or gluten-free.
I like to make a simple tamari-bassed sauce to serve with these vegan pancakes. To whip it up, you’ll need:
- Tamari. Or gluten-free or regular soy sauce.
- Sesame oil. I like the nuttier flavor of toasted sesame oil.
- Rice wine vinegar. This is easy to find at most well-stocked grocery stores.
- Sugar. I use coconut sugar, but another kind of granulated sweetener will work too.
Can I Store Leftover Pancakes?
These pancakes are best enjoyed fresh off the stove. But if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat them in a hot skillet on the stove so they stay crispy. I recommend making a fresh batch of dipping sauce to serve them a second time for the best flavor.
More Asian Pancake Recipes
- Taiwanese Scallion Pancakes (vegan, gluten free)
- Korean Mung Bean Pancakes – Bindaetteok/빈대떡 (vegan, gluten free)
- Korean Sweet Cinnamon Pancakes – Hotteok/호떡 (vegan, gluten free)
If you make these crispy Korean vegetable pancakes, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
Korean Vegetable Pancakes (vegan, gluten free)
- 2-3 cups pea shoots or other microgreen
- 5 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 shallots thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cup flour use gluten free if desired
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup filtered water
- 3-4 tbsp neutral oil more as needed
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 pinch salt more to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper more to taste
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- Start by preparing your batter by whisking flour, cornstarch and salt to combine. Slowly stream in water while you whisk until a batter forms.
- Next, mix in pea shoots, scallions, shallots and zucchini and stir to combine. The mixture should be mostly vegetables, do your best to make sure each vegetable piece is coated.
- Heat a skillet or pan on medium heat and add enough oil to coat. Once sizzling, add about 1/3 or 1/2 cup batter to the pan and use a spatula to quickly spread the batter as thin as possible. Let cook for about 3 minutes, until bubbles form on the surface and a nice golden crust has formed. Flip, and repeat on the other side. Season with salt, set aside and repeat with remaining batter.
- To serve, slice into bite sized pieces or triangles, whisk together dipping sauce ingredients and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.