This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
This frosty and refreshing mocktail is made with creamy coconut, fresh pineapple, and coconut water. A fun, tropical Piña Colada Mocktail that’s healthy and refined sugar-free for an elegant alcohol-free adult beverage.
What is a Piña Colada?
A piña colada is a tropical frozen drink that typically contains coconut cream, pineapple juice, and rum, and is garnished with maraschino cherries and pineapple wedges.
This piña colada mocktail recipe omits the alcohol, making it non-alcoholic or “virgin”, but also goes a step further to make it vegan and free of any refined sugars. The result is a creamy, frozen, healthy drink that is loved by kids and adults!
What Makes This Recipe Great
I’m all about turning classic cocktails into healthier alcohol-free versions. And there’s nothing that puts you in a tropical state of mind better than an icy piña colada.
This mocktail version is made with six ingredients (including ice) and is totally free of refined sugar, but full of creamy, coconutty flavor. Blend up a batch for your next party and it’s sure to be a hit.
How to Make a Piña Colada Mocktail
This is a super simple one-step recipe with minimal ingredients! Just add all your ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend away until smooth!
You only need six ingredients and a blender to make these frosty mocktails. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Pineapple: You can use fresh or frozen pineapple chunks. Garnish with fresh pineapple wedges if desired.
- Coconut cream: This is unsweetened and comes in a can. It is usually next to the regular canned coconut milk at the grocery store. It’s thicker and creamier.
- Coconut water: This is so hydrating and refreshing, so your pina colada is actually hydrating!
- Limes: Use freshly-squeezed lime juice for the brightest flavor.
- In a high-speed blender, add pineapple, coconut cream, coconut water, ice, and lime juice. Blend until smooth and use a tamper to break down the ice until a nice slushy texture is achieved. Add more coconut water as necessary.
- To serve, garnish this tropical drink with fresh lime zest and an optional wedge of fresh pineapple.
- If needed, you can also add additional sweetness with a touch of maple syrup if you’d like.
- If you’d like a little extra sweetness in your drink, feel free to add maple syrup or agave to taste. The riper your pineapple is, the sweeter your drink will be, naturally!
- If you would like to use a non-alcoholic spirit or zero-proof rum for a more realistic flavour, you can opt to use a non-alcoholic alternative like Ritual Zero Proof “Rum”.
What to Serve with Piña Coladas
Go full-on tropical and sip your virgin drink with:
- Vegan Feijão Tropeiro (Brazilian Beans with Collard Greens)
- Vegan Pão De Queijo (Brazilian Cheese Bread)
- Strawberry Salsa (vegan, gluten free, keto, paleo)
- Tofu Satay (vegan, gluten-free)
“Virgin” is a popular way to describe a drink that omits the alcohol that the drink typically contains. Other ways to say this are non-alcoholic and mocktail. They all mean the same thing- made with no alcohol!
While they seem similar, they are very different. Cream of coconut is thinner and has tons of added sugar. Coconut cream, however, comes in a can and is unsweetened and thicker. I prefer canned coconut cream because pineapple has a ton of natural sweetness and the added sugar isn’t necessary!
There are non-alcoholic spirits! They add the same flavor as alcohol but are actually “zero proof”, meaning no actual alcohol is included. This is a great way to spice up this non-alcoholic piña colada without the effects of alcohol. Try brands like Ritual or Lyre’s.
If you make this vegan piña colada mocktail, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
Virgin Piña Colada Mocktail
- 3 cups diced pineapple fresh or frozen
- 4 oz coconut cream
- 1/4-1/2 cup coconut water as needed, to blend
- 1 1/2 cups ice
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- In a high speed blender, add pineapple, coconut cream, coconut water, ice and lime juice. Blend and use a tamper to break down the ice until a nice slushy texture is achieved. Add more coconut water as necessary.
- To serve, garnish with fresh lime zest and optional wedge of fresh pineapple.
- If needed, you can also add additional sweetness with a touch of maple syrup if you'd like.
- If you'd like a little extra sweetness in your drink, feel free to add maple syrup or agave to taste. The riper your pineapple is, the sweeter your drink will be, naturally!
- If you would like to use a non-alcoholic spirit or zero-proof rum for a more realistic flavour, you can opt to use a non-alcoholic alternative like Ritual Zero Proof "Rum".
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.