An oat milk based french toast recipe that is vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free. This makes for a delicious breakfast or brunch and is easy to make!
- 3/4 cup oat milk of choice
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (cornstarch can work as a sub)
- 4–5 slices of gluten-free bread, preferably a little on the older side*
- warmed berries
- extra cinnamon
- coconut whip
- coconut yogurt
- maple syrup
- anything you’d like!
- In a large bowl, whisk together all your ingredients (except bread of course!)
- Allow this mixture to thicken for at 8-10 minutes, and then give it another quick whisk. This will allow the flax seed to expand and the mixture to thicken slightly.
- Heat a nonstick pan on medium heat, making sure it’s sizzling and ready to go. You can use a little bit of oil of choice or vegan butter if preferred, but if using a good nonstick pan, can omit.
- Soak each side of the bread into the mixture for about 30-40 seconds on each side, then cook on the pan for about 2-3 minutes each side, or until golden brown. Be patient before flipping, and allow each side to really firm up.
- Before moving onto the next slice, give the dipping mixture a quick whisk.
I used Simple Kneads bread for this, but Cocobakes sourdough works REALLY well for this too.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: breakfast
Keywords: french toast, vegan french toast, oat milk, gluten free french toast, whole food plant based