This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
hot chocolate french toast for breakfast !
Vegan Hot Chocolate French Toast is the perfect way to enjoy hot chocolate for breakfast. Yup! That’s right–this mash up between hot chocolate and french toast make the ultimate sweet breakfast combo. The recipe is vegan, nut free, and can be made oil free, too. In case you haven’t checked out my original Oat Milk French Toast recipe, this is a twist on that recipe, so if you’re looking for something a little more classic, you can try that first
It’s decadent, but made with better for you ingredients like cacao powder, ground flax seeds and vegan chocolate chips/cacao nibs. Oh, and, if you’re feeling extra, vegan marshmallows to top! I mean, this is a Hot Chocolate French Toast after all.
Make this recipe to use up any about-to-go-bad bread you have in your pantry. Don’t let it go to waste–repurpose it and turn it into this dessert for breakfast situation!
It makes for a great brunch or special sweet treat breakfast, and it’s kid friendly too.
All the ingredients used are whole food plant based ingredients aside from the marshmallows, that is.
Last but not least, you can make this gluten-free with your favourite gluten-free bread!
I used a vegan and gluten free sourdough bread to make this recipe. The brand I used is Simple Kneads, but you can use your favourite gluten-free (or glutinous, if you’re not allergic) bread.
On the topic of bread, if your bread isn’t about-to-go-bad, you can achieve better results by toasting the bread beforehand. Having a drier bread texture is helpful because it will absorb your batter much better.
Finally, you can make this recipe oil-free by using a good non-stick pan to “fry”.
if you like this recipe, try…
Hot Chocolate French Toast (vegan, gluten free)
- 3/4 cup oat milk or non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1-2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup optional
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder cornstarch can work as a sub
- 4-5 slices of gluten-free bread preferably a little on the drier side*
- serve with
- mini vegan chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- mini vegan marshmallows
- date syrup drizzle
- anything you’d like!
- In a large bowl, whisk together all your ingredients (except bread of course!)
- Next, allow this mixture to thicken for at 8-10 minutes, and then give it another quick whisk. This will allow the flax seed to expand and the mixture to thicken slightly.
- Heat a nonstick pan on medium heat, making sure it’s sizzling and ready to go. You can use a little bit of oil of choice or vegan butter if preferred, but if using a good nonstick pan, can omit.
- Soak each side of the bread into the mixture for about 30-40 seconds on each side, then cook on the pan for about 2-3 minutes each side, or until golden brown. Be patient before flipping, and allow each side to really firm up.
- Before moving onto the next slice, give the dipping mixture a quick whisk.
- Serve with toppings as desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
This post may contain affiliate links.