This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
My favourite plant + my favourite tea flavour = the cutest Matcha Monstera Cookies! I’ve been dreaming up this cookie recipe and shape for a long time but couldn’t figure out how to go about making the cookies the perfect monstera shape. I also doubted that tahini and matcha would taste good together, but I’m glad I gave it a shot, because once again, my classic Maple Tahini Cookie recipe base has come to the rescue!
These Matcha Monstera Cookies come together in one bowl, and the recipe is vegan, gluten-free, oil free, refined sugar free and nut free. The flavour is beautiful and mildly sweet, and the matcha makes the cookies the perfect subtle green. I’ve learned through baking Chocolate Tahini Star Cookies and Tahini Teddy Grahams that the base dough is actually excellent for rolling and making cutout cookies. So, why fix something if it ain’t broke? Is that how the saying goes? Basically, I added in some of my favourite matcha and made monstera leaf cut outs and voila.
I’ll keep this short and sweet, but check out the original Maple Tahini Cookie recipe for more information about why this recipe works so well, and the Tahini Teddy Graham recipe for tips on turning the base recipe into cut out cookie perfection. As for the mold, I actually found a fondant cutter in the shape of a monstera leaf at a flea market. Talk about a coincidence, but for real I’ve been looking for a mold for about 7 months now (seriously!!).
This will work with any leaf shape however, or you can of course make these a regular cookie shape. P.S. I recommend using a culinary grade matcha for these Matcha Monstera Cookies so that you end up with a bold flavour that will actually shine in this recipe.
E N J O Y !
Matcha Monstera Cookies (vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
- 1 + 1/3 cup gluten free oat flour I recommend using finely ground oat flour for best results
- 1/2 cup runny tahini or nut/seed butter of choice
- 1/3-1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 tsp matcha powder
- more oat flour to roll dough as needed
- Preheat your oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl, combine maple syrup, tahini and vanilla extract in a bowl. Whisk to combine until smooth.
- Sift in oat flour, baking powder and matcha powder and use a spatula to mix.
- Mix until a dough forms. It should be moist, not sticky, and easily rollable. Add additional oat flour as needed and roll out on parchment paper.
- Roll dough about 1/4 inch in thickness and using a cookie cutter, cut out your desired shapes. Use excess edge dough and re-roll to continue until all the dough is cut.
- Bake for approximately 5-6 min, keeping in mind the cookies will firm up after baking. Keep an eye on them to make sure they do not burn and remove from oven to a cooling rack to avoid burning. Let cool completely.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Love & matcha,