Healthy Tahini “Teddy Grahams” (vegan, gluten-free, oil free)
This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
Last year, I discovered that my classic Maple Tahini Cookie recipe is actually great for rolling out and cutting shapes into (example, this Cacao Star Cutout twist). I thought maybe something cinnamon, and then I found these bear shaped cookie cutters that gave me the inspiration to try and make a Teddy Graham style cookie.
The result was a crisp cookie, reminiscent of Teddy Grahams, but vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and oil free. Also, they’re about 72 times better at least, because they’re fun to make and made with good for you ingredients. To top it all off, I thought I’d give these teddies a little something to hold on to, so I gave them little almonds, like I’ve seen all over Pinterest.
If you don’t have a bear cookie cutter, you can still make these into crispier cookies by rolling thin and cutting into the shape of your choice. You could make a grid and turn them into squares, but keep them on the smaller side so they’re snack sized like the original!
The great thing about this recipe is that you can make larger, chewy cookies (like the original recipe), or you can make them festive cut-outs. Whatever shape you decide to (or not to) turn this dough into, make sure you have some additional oat flour on hand. It will help in case the dough becomes sticky, which may happen as the thickness of tahini tends to vary from brand to brand. Also, I noticed that I needed a bit more flour to roll out this dough now that it’s spring and the temperature is slightly warmer too. Funny huh?
These cookies are such a throwback to my childhood, but I love that they’re not too sweet, and really wholesome. If you give them a shot, I promise it’s more fun making with friends, not to mention, much easier with extra hands too.
Healthy Tahini "Teddy Graham" Cookies (vegan, gluten-free, oil free)
- 1 + 1/3 cup gluten free oat flour I recommend using finely ground oat flour for best results
- 1/2 cup runny tahini or nut/seed butter of choice
- 1/3-1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
- more oat flour to roll dough
- Preheat your oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl, combine maple syrup, tahini and vanilla extract in a bowl. Whisk to combine until smooth.
- Sift in oat flour, baking powder and cinnamon and use a spatula to mix.
- Mix until a dough forms. It should be moist, not sticky, and easily rollable. Add additional oat flour as needed and roll out on parchment paper.
- Roll dough about 1/4 inch in thickness and using a cookie cutter, cut out your desired shapes. Use excess edge dough and re-roll to continue until all the dough is cut.
- If desired, use the tip of a fork or chopstick to poke 2 eyes into each bear, and tuck a raw almond in between the bear's arms.
- Bake for approximately 5-6 min, keeping in mind the cookies will firm up after baking. Keep an eye on them to make sure they do not burn and remove from oven to a cooling rack to avoid burning.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Love & teddies,