An easy recipe for homemade vegan bubble tea. Naturally gluten-free, a little better for you and just as delicious.
- 1/2 cup dry tapioca pearls (I used one from nuts.com, but amazon sells many)
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons liquid sweetener of choice (I used coconut nectar)
- 2 tea bags or 2 servings of tea (to make about 1 cup of dark brewed tea total)
- 2 cups of vegan milk of choice
- additional sweetener to taste
- In a saucepan bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add dry tapioca pearls and continue to boil on low heat for about 5-8 min, or according to package directions. Make sure you stir occasionally so the tapioca pearls don’t stick together. You’ll know when the tapioca is ready when it becomes a translucent black. You can also try one pearl to make sure it’s cooked through.
- While this is cooking, set aside an additional 1 cup of hot water and allow your tea of choice to steep. I recommend black tea. Make this quite strong as you’ll be adding vegan milk later on. Once your desired tea strength is reached, allow to chill in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
- Once tapioca pearls are cooked through, remove from heat and strain. Transfer to a bowl and cover with just enough water so it doesn’t dry out, and add 2 tablespoons of sweetener.
- To assemble, strain and divide the cooked tapioca between 2 cups. Add ice if desired, pour tea into each glass, and finish with non-dairy milk.
- Add additional sweetener as needed, and enjoy! Don’t forget to use a re-usable metal bubble tea straw 🙂
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: drinks
- Cuisine: asian
Keywords: bubble tea, vegan bubble tea, boba, gluten free, vegan