This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
Corn Potage – Japanese Corn Soup (vegan, dairy free)
- high speed blender
- 3 tbsp neutral oil
- 5 cobs sweet yellow corn
- 1/2 large sweet onion
- 1 tbsp vegan butter optional
- 2 tsp white miso paste
- 1-2 tsp kosher salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 cups plant milk unsweetened
- Slice corn kernels off of the cobs and reserve the cobs for later.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil and butter, if using. Add corn kernels and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Using the back of a knife, scrape down the cobs to release any excess juices and corn into the pot.
- Add the onions and salt and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are tender. Add paprika and toss to incorporate.
- Add 2 cups water to the pot and the cobs (this adds natural sweetness and even more corn flavour) and bring to a low simmer. Let cook for 10 minutes.
- After the 10 minutes is up, remove the cobs from the pot and transfer the remaining contents to a blender. Add miso paste and plant milk and blend until smooth. Add salt as needed, adjusting to taste.
- To serve, strain if you prefer a silkier texture or serve as is. Top with breadcrumbs if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.