This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
I’ve been revisiting comfort recipes, with a vegan twist of course and my latest and greatest is this Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup. Although it’s commonly enjoyed alongside a grilled cheese sandwich, I used to enjoy this soup when I lived in Shanghai (in instant form, can you believe it?). It was a Japanese instant food you just add hot water to and it was something my sisters and I loved. Simple, creamy, tangy and tomatoe-y soup.
Of course, that tomato soup was far from vegan, but the good news is I’ve nailed a veganized version that’s just as delicious. It pairs well with a vegan grilled cheese sandwich, can be enjoyed with pasta noodles cooked into it, and is great as is too. I love making this soup when my refrigerator is near empty and I’m in need of something nourishing but quick. I also love it in the winter because something about tomato soup is so comforting.
The recipe calls for canned tomatoes, primarily because soup season is typically not peak tomato season. Also, canned tomatoes are accessible, affordable and great to have in the pantry at all times for impromptu soup moments. It’s one of those ingredients I tend to always have in the house and forget about for months. If that sounds familiar, this is your sign to make this soup!
This Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup is obviously vegan but also gluten free, refined sugar free and grain free with an oil free option.
What’s in this Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup?
To make this soup you’ll only need 8 ingredients, and it comes together in less than 30 minutes.
- Canned tomatoes → The recipe calls for canned tomatoes, meaning you can make this soup year round, no fresh tomatoes required! I recommend whole tomatoes, no salt added. Tomatoes are an excellent source of lycopene, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin K and more. It gives the soup a gorgeous vibrant colour as well.
- Sweet onion → I recommend this over a red or white onion, but a white onion will work too! Onions balance the tomato and add a subtle sweetness too.
- Garlic → What’s a good soup without some garlic? Don’t be shy and don’t worry about mincing too finely, since we will be blending everything.
- Cashews → No soaking required! We’re boiling these alongside the rest of our ingredients to soften, and once blended they give the perfect amount of dairy-free creaminess.
- Oregano → For flavour! Try not to skip it 🙂
- Bay leaf → You can skip this if you’d like, but it does add a little extra something something.
- Salt & pepper → Season to taste.
How to make Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
- Sauté your aromatics, onion and garlic. Add cashews, tomatoes and herbs and sauté again.
- Add vegetable broth and then bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer.
- Transfer everything into a blender, and blend until completely smooth. Season and enjoy!
Secrets to success!
- Make it hearty → You can add a knob of vegan butter to sauté with to start. This will add nice depth of flavour and extra richness to the soup. A drizzle of olive oil on top can also be lovely.
- Boost the nutrition → Consider blending in a handful of hemp seeds or topping your soup with hemp seeds for added protein and nutrients. You can also blend in nutritional yeast for a deeper umami flavour! Basil also pairs perfectly with this luscious soup.
- Equipment modifications → If you don’t have a high speed blender, you can also use a hand immersion blender instead. You will need to blend out the ingredients, so be sure to use one or the other.
If you like this recipe, try…
- Cozy Lentil Pumpkin Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Three Mushroom Quinoa Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower Kale Soup
- Easy Miso Mushroom Ramen
If you try this recipe out, tag me on Instagram @veggiekins so I can see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I love when you share your reviews in the comments below, and if you make any fun substitutions, let me know how it worked out below too.
Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup (vegan, gluten free, oil free)
- 1 large sweet onion thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes*
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- neutral oil to sauté optional
- In a large pot, sauté onions until aromatic and slightly translucent (about 2-3 minutes). Try to avoid browning, and stir regularly. Next add garlic and sauté for another minute or so.
- Add raw cashews, tomatoes, oregano and bay leaf and cook for 2-3 minutes again.
- Add vegetable broth, cover and simmer on low heat for about 8 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf, transfer everything into a blender and blend until completely smooth. Return the mixture to the pot, season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Pin it for later!
This post may contain affiliate links.