This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
This is a nut free, super creamy vegan corn chowder made with a secret ingredient for creaminess and a boost of nutrition! It makes for an amazing quick lunch or dinner, and can be made smooth and silky or a little chunky. This healthy corn chowder is my go-to when I’m in the mood for something flavourful and fuss free and it can be pantry ingredient friendly too!
How to Make Nut-Free Vegan Corn Chowder
Creamy vegan soups often rely on some kind of nut for creaminess, but this dairy-free corn chowder is also nut-free.
- The starch in corn adds a little bit of creaminess as is, and we’re also going to scrape the cobs to get all of the corn juice and flavour we can!
- To make this corn chowder even creamier, we will be using white beans. It will also give the soup some added plant protein, fiber and nutrients plus it’s a nut-free option.
- I add oat milk to the soup to blend instead of using a nut based milk. Just be sure to use an unsweetened, plain flavoured oat or other plant milk.
Ingredient Swaps and Suggestions
- If you’d like, you can opt to use canned coconut milk in place of oat milk. It’s a pantry friendly swap!
- In place of beans you can also experiment with soaked sunflower seeds to keep things nut free.
- Garbanzo beans or chickpeas may also work in place of white beans, but I find that navy beans and white beans work best.
Can I Use Frozen Corn?
If you aren’t able to find fresh corn on the cob, you can also use frozen sweet corn and even frozen roasted corn. Canned corn will also work, just be sure to use canned corn without added ingredients.
Storing Corn Chowder
Store your corn chowder in an airtight container once completely cool in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or freezer for up to 2 months. To reheat, cook on the stovetop or microwave.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
- Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup (vegan, gluten free, oil free)
- Zucchini Asparagus Soup (vegan, guten free)
- Broccoli “Cheese” Soup (vegan, gluten free)
- Mushroom Miso Ramen (vegan, gluten free)
Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder (gluten free, nut free)
- 5 ears sweet corn
- 1 sweet onion sliced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots
- 3/4 can white beans
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1-2 cups oat milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- chives to garnish
- Sauté onions with a touch of neutral oil until soft and fragrant. Avoid browning!
- Add carrots and garlic and sauté again for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the corn kernels from 4 of your ears of corn, white beans, chili flakes, smoked paprika, a generous pinch of salt and black or white pepper.
- Sauté for another 2-3 minutes then add veggie broth, milk and scrape the cobs of corn to extract any additional juice, then bring the whole mixture to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until about half of the soup is blended or transfer half of your mixture to a blender unit, blend until smooth and pour back into the pot. This is my preferred texture (creamy and slightly chunky) but blend to achieve your desired texture.
- Season to taste and garnish with chives and charred corn kernels. For the charred corn topping, simply torch or grill your corn and sprinkle some atop your soup!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.