This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
Corn Arancini (vegan, gluten free)
- sheet pan
- baking mat
- shallow pan
- 2 ears sweet corn
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large shallot finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 1/4 cup arborio rice
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Breading and Filling
- 2 cups cornflake cereal or gluten free breadcrumbs
- vegan cheese
Char The Corn
- Start by charring your corn. If you have a blowtorch, place the corn on a heat-safe surface and torch until evenly charred all around. Don't be afraid to give your corn some nice colour and if you hear popping kernels, that's normal! Alternatively, char the corn directly on your stovetop over the open flames. Rotate to evenly char. Let cool and set aside.
- Once the corn is cool enough to handle, place it flat on a cutting board and slice off kernels from each side of the cob. Reserve the cobs for later and set the cut corn aside.
Make Corn Risotto
- Heat vegetable broth in a small pot and keep on low heat.
- In a large, shallow pan on medium heat, heat olive oil until glistening. Add shallots and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring constantly, until tender and translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Next add garlic to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes or so, stirring constantly and then add the dry rice. Cook for another 3 minutes, tossing to coat the rice evenly.
- Add white wine to deglaze, stirring until most of the moisture has cooked off. Lower the heat to low.
- Grab your cobs and use the back of a knife to scrape off any remaining juices and flesh of the corn, into the pan.
- Now we'll start to add the vegetable broth, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to incorporate until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Continue until all of the broth has been added.
- Toss the corn kernels into the risotto and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prepare the Arancini
- To turn our risotto into arancini, we'll want to let the mixture cool and firm up. I like to transfer the mixture to a lined baking sheet, then pop it in the refrigerator over night.
- Once the mixture has set and the risotto has firmed up, you should be able to work with it with your hands. Take 2-3 tablespoons of the risotto mixture and place a small piece of vegan cheese in the center. Use your hands to form a ball and pack it tightly. Repeat with remaining risotto.
- Add cornflakes to a food processor and blend until a fine texture is achieved. It should be like a coarse sand texture. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- When ready to cook, toss each stuffed risotto ball into the cornflake mixture to coat, then spritz with spray oil or drizzle with a little neutral oil.
- Airfry at 400F for 8-10 minutes, or until the exterior is lightly golden and crunchy. Enjoy immediately.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.