A savoury, Asian inspired, Miso Mushroom Burger with a creamy Miso Tahini Sauce. Vegan, gluten free, oil free and whole food plant based. Healthy, meatless and most importantly, delicious!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almonds (I used raw)
- 1/3 cup red onion, sliced
- 1 clove roasted garlic
- 1/3 cup dehydrated shiitake mushrooms*
- 1 can of black beans or beans of choice (roughly 15 oz)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp miso paste*
- 2 tsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce, tamari etc.)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp shichimi togarashi (japanese 7 spice seasoning)
Miso Tahini Sauce
- Remove stems from dried shiitake mushrooms and allow to soak in warm water to soften for about 10 minutes. Usually, soaking time is 20 minutes, but you want them to be about halfway softened (still somewhat tough, as they’ll rehydrate further when cooked later). Remove from water, strain and pat dry.
- Sauté onion slices until caramelized and fragrant using a little oil, or veggie stock to keep it oil free. They should be slightly golden brown and translucent in colour.
- In a food processor, pulse oats and almonds until crushed (careful not to over process them).
- Add remaining ingredients (including the onions and mushrooms) and pulse until mixture begins to pull away from the sides of the food processor. If the mixture is too wet, you can add a little more rolled oats to the mixture. The texture should be workable and not too sticky.
- At this point, you can go ahead and give the mixture a taste if you’d like, because none of the ingredients are unsafe to eat raw 🙂
- With moist hands, form dough into burger patty shapes about 1 inch thick and transfer to a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20-25 min at 375F until golden brown, flipping at the halfway point.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until smooth. Taste, and adjust by adding more coconut aminos as needed to adjust the salt level.
Mushroom substitutions: You can use dried porcini mushrooms instead, or regular fresh button mushrooms, but you may need add additional oats to compensate for added moisture.
Tahini substitutions: Opt for another seed butter or neutral nut butter.
Shichimi togarashi substitutions: Remove altogether or use chili flakes to add a little spice.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: main courses
- Method: baking
Keywords: burger, vegan burger, vegan, gluten free, oil free, whole food plant based, healthy, tahini, miso, asian