This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
Sticky Rice Meatballs (Pearl Balls)
- steamer basket
- parchment paper
- small cookie scoop
- 1/3 cup glutinous rice
- 300 g vegan ground meat substitute
- 2 scallions finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1/2 tsp ginger peeled and grated
- 2 tsp tapioca starch or use corn starch
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt kosher
- 1/2 tsp sugar
Soak Glutinous Rice
- In a bowl, cover the glutinous rice with cool water and let soak overnight or for 8-10 hours. Drain off as much excess water as you can and set aside.
Prepare Meatball Filling
- In a mixing bowl, combine vegan ground meat, scallions and all remaining seasoning ingredients. Mix well, using a spatula.
- Let the mixture chill in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm up.
Steam the Meatballs
- Line a steamer basket with parchment paper to avoid the meatballs sticking to the steamer basket and prepare a large pot or pan wide enough to accommodate the steamer basket.
- Use a small cookie scoop or scoop about 1 1/2 tbsp of meatball filling and roll between your hands to pack tightly. Roll the meatball in the rice, making sure to press any grains of rice into the meatball so they stick (if needed). Transfer to the steamer basket and repeat with remaining dumpling filling.
- Add water to the pot or pan and bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Close the steamer basket and let the meatballs cook for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the steamer basket from the pot or pan and enjoy immediately.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.