A twist on your classic breakfast waffle, with a cornbread-like flavour. Healthy, gluten-free, vegan, oil-free and easy to make!
- 2 cups of non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups cormeal
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened non-dairy yogurt*
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp date sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- In a small bowl, combine apple cider vinegar with non-dairy milk and allow to sit until slightly thickened (we’re mimicking buttermilk here).
- Whisk together cornmeal, oat flour, date sugar, flax seeds, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Next add the thickened milk, non-dairy yogurt, maple syrup and vanilla extract and combine with a spatula until smooth.
- Your mixture should be thicker than pancake batter, but still spoonable into your waffle iron. If you need to, you can add additional non-dairy milk by the teaspoon.
- Follow instructions to make waffles according to your waffle iron.
I used an unsweetened coconut yogurt, and I recommend looking for one with minimal, unprocessed ingredients (i.e. no added sugars, oils, etc.)
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baking
Keywords: waffles, vegan waffles, cornbread waffles, oil free waffles, gluten free vegan