Creamy, vanilla bean oatmeal with a caramelized, crunchy sugar topping. This Crème Brûlée Oatmeal is a must try vegan and gluten free breakfast or dessert.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup plant milk of choice (use coconut milk for an extra rich result)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1/2 fresh vanilla bean pod
- 1/2 tbsp granulated organic sugar
- pinch of salt
- Begin by adding your rolled oats and water to a saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer and add plant milk, vanilla extract and plant protein if using. Stir gently every so often and cook until the oatmeal has thickened and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and add maple syrup to taste if using, pinch of salt and maca and lucuma if using. The texture of the oatmeal should be on the thicker side.
- Transfer oatmeal into a shallow bowl or ramekin and sprinkle with granulated sugar, to taste. Using a blowtorch, burn sugar until it melts and caramelizes. Alternatively, you can place your bowl on a baking sheet and broil in the oven for about a minute or so, checking every 30 seconds to make sure the sugar doesn’t burn completely.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes so the topping can harden and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: breakfast
- Method: boi
Keywords: creme brulee, oatmeal, breakfast, dessert, oats, gluten free, vegan