This stunning no-bake vegan flan recipe is the perfect sweet ending to any Fall meal!! It has warm and cozy pumpkin spice flavors, is sweetened with homemade coconut syrup, and is absolutely delicious!
Coconut Sugar Syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 tsp water
- pinch salt
- 1 cup plant milk of choice (I used soymilk)
- 1/2 cup silken tofu
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 3 tbsp condensed oat milk or maple syrup, to taste
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp agar agar
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Start by preparing the coconut syrup. Add all ingredients to a small saucepan on low heat and stir with a whisk continuously as it melts down.
- Cook on medium-low heat until it starts to bubble, continue to stir, and simmer until reduced and slightly thicker in texture. Be careful not to let it burn!
- Divide the syrup between 2 ramekins and then gently swirl each ramekin to ensure the bottom surface is covered. Let sit in the fridge.
- To prepare the flan batter, blend all ingredients until completely smooth. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan, stirring constantly and bring to a low bubble, then remove from heat.
- Let the mixture cool down for 5-10 minutes (this allows for a more distinct coconut sugar layer. Otherwise, it melts!), then divide between the two ramekins and gently pour on top of the coconut syrup layer.
- Tap out any surface bubbles and place in the fridge to set for 5-6 hours or overnight for best results.
- Gently run a knife around the edge of the ramekin, place a small plate over the surface, and flip to release. This inverts the flan, and the sweet coconut syrup will be on top (just like the caramel in the classic recipe).
Secrets to Success
- Keep a close eye on the coconut sugar syrup as it’s cooking. The sugars can burn easily, so reduce the heat as necessary and stir consistently.
- It’s best to let the coconut syrup set up and cool down fully in the ramekins before you add the flan mixture on top.
- I recommend letting the flan cool in the fridge overnight for the best texture.
- Using vanilla bean paste (rather than vanilla extract) will give those classic vanilla bean speckles to your dessert.
- Agar agar is a type of vegan gelatin that is made from seaweed. It works so well in this vegan flan recipe. However, it comes in two variations, agar agar powder and agar flakes. It’s super important to know which one you have. The general rule of thumb is to use 3x the amount of agar flakes when substituting for the powder. So in this recipe, you would use 1 tbsp agar flakes or 1 tsp agar agar powder.
If you’re planning a holiday party and want some vegan menu items, you have to include this easy no-bake vegan flan. Here’s what else I would serve this dessert with for an impressive spread:
- Glazed Tofu Ham for the Holidays
- Buckwheat Harvest Salad w/ Kabocha, Broccoli, and Pecans
- Vegan Cornbread Muffins
- This vegan flan is a great make-ahead recipe because it’s best if left to set overnight in the fridge. I recommend serving within 48 hours for best results.
- If serving for a holiday, this is super easy to make a day or two ahead of time and serve cold from the fridge with coconut whipped cream and a dusting of pumpkin spice.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Method: blending
Keywords: vegan flan, pumpkin flan, no bake, dairy free