This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
This Miso Butter Furikake Popcorn is a vegan and gluten-free umami bomb snack with Japanese flavors.
If you’re team savory snacks over sweet, this popcorn recipe is going to be a hit. It’s full of salty, umami flavors, crunch and a touch of sweetness. It’s time to upgrade your typical popcorn with Japanese flavors from miso and furikake!
Ingredients for Furikake Popcorn
To make this addicting gluten-free snack, you’ll need:
- Popcorn. Use whole, unpopped kernels (not the microwave kind).
- Vegan butter. You can use any brand of vegan butter. However, any neutral oil (like coconut or avocado) will also work.
- Miso paste. Use white miso paste for a subtle, slightly sweet and salty flavor addition.
- Furikake seasoning. I recommend making your own with this gluten-free recipe. However, you can find furikake seasoning at many grocery stores and Asian markets. Just make sure it’s vegan if you don’t want to eat fish!
How to Make Furikake Miso Popcorn
I recommend popping your popcorn in a microwave using this method for Zero Waste/Low Waste Popcorn. Another option is to air pop your kernels, then season them.
Do this in a large pot big enough to hold all of the popped kernels. Start by melting down the butter. Then slowly stir in the miso, off of the heat. This will keep the flavor and probiotics intact. Finally, toss your popcorn into the mixture to coat then finish with the furikake!
Other Seasoning Ideas
If you don’t have furikake, try these other flavoring ideas to amp up the miso butter on your popcorn:
- A sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- White and black sesame seeds
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Turmeric or curry powder
- Nutritional yeast
Popcorn is a great blank canvas for so many delicious flavors, the possibilities here are pretty endless.
This recipe is great with popcorn, but if you want to try something different, make cute miniature popped sorghum. Then coat it in the miso furikake butter as described in the recipe.
More Healthy Snack Recipe Ideas
- Vegan Cornbread Muffins (gluten free, refined sugar free)
- Simple Sourdough Discard Crackers (vegan, gluten free)
- Healthy Makhana / Lily Seed Snack (vegan, paleo, gluten-free, oil free)
If you make this Miso Butter Furikake Popcorn, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
Miso Butter Furikake Popcorn (vegan, gluten free)
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 2-3 tbsp vegan butter more to taste
- 1 tsp white miso paste emore to tast
- furikake seasoning to taste
- Begin by preparing popcorn. I like to make in the microwave in a reusable food bag or brown paper bag but you can also use an airpopper.
- Melt down your vegan butter in a small sauce pan. In a small bowl, whisk miso paste with a touch of warm water to help break it down then add it to the butter and whisk well.
- Pour this over your popcorn, toss to coat and then add furikake and toss again!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.