Moon Muesli (vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, nut free option)
This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
This quick and simple Moon Muesli recipe was developed with hormone health in mind. I call it Moon Muesli because I like to refer to the menstrual cycle as a moon cycle (although our cycle’s relationship to the moon cycle is not a belief shared by all), and I think it rolls off the tongue a little better than Menstrual Muesli don’t you think? 😉
I recommend enjoying this muesli during the first few days of your cycle, when you’re menstruating, as all of the ingredients are intended to support your body. I’ll go into why each ingredient is included and what it has to offer, and the rest is really simple! To make, all you need to do is add ingredients into a jar and shake.
It can be enjoyed like overnight oats, sprinkled on top of meals, as a snack or with non-dairy yogurt and fruit. This recipe is versatile, simple and a great way to use food as medicine. This Moon Muesli is vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and can be made nut free*. You need 9 ingredients and about 2 minutes of time to prepare (or less if you can measure out your ingredients quickly).
What’s in this Moon Muesli?
- Gluten free rolled oats → Great to enjoy for breakfast when you’re on your period. They contain B vitamins to boost energy levels and provide sustained energy for your morning.
- Pumpkin seeds → Iron rich pumpkin seeds are superstar seeds to enjoy. Along with flax seeds, they are part of the Seed Cycling protocol for hormone health and are recommended to enjoy during the first half of your cycle to help your body build up the uterine lining.
- Flax seeds → Like pumpkin seeds, flax seeds have been suggested to support your first menstrual phase. Additionally, they’re a great source of plant based omega-3 fats.
- Chia seeds → Great source of fiber, calcium and anti-inflammatory omega-3s!
- Medjool dates → For a little natural sweetness and chew, fiber and iron rich and helps to support digestion (which can get a little funky during your time of the month).
- Cinnamon → A warming spice that has been linked to a reduction in menstrual pain, bleeding and related symptoms.
optional, but recommended
- Brazil nuts → For your daily dose of selenium, and nutty flavour plus magnesium which helps to relax the body and muscle cramps.
- Goji berries → Offers amino acids and has been suggested to restore the body after menses.
Secrets to success
This is a great recipe to batch prepare or meal prep, but make sure you give the jar or container a good shake before you consume. The ingredients are not all equal in size or weight, and you want to get a little bit of everything in each serving right?
Be sure to store this mix in the fridge, and consume quickly. I would not recommend making this too far in advance as the seeds when ground will start to lose their nutrients.
If you like this recipe, try…
- Moon Tea
- Tempeh Sweet Potato Broccoli Hash
- Raspberry Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch Granola
If you try this recipe out, tag me on Instagram @veggiekins so I can see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I love when you share your reviews in the comments below, and if you make any fun substitutions, let me know how it worked out below too.
Moon Muesli (vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free)
- Add all ingredients to a jar and shake. Store in the fridge or freezer and enjoy as soon as possible.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.