A delicious, zesty Vegan Lemon Pepper Pasta made with simple ingredients! This recipe is vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and can be made oil free.
- 2 servings pasta of choice (I used these gluten-free bowties)
- 1/2 large head of cauliflower (roughly 2 cups of florets, packed)
- 3–4 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soymilk (can use other unsweetened, unflavoured non-dairy milk)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened creamy cashew butter or tahini*
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- (optional) vegan parmesan
- (optional) lemon zest to garnish
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, cooking until al dente. Strain and set aside, saving 1/4 cup of pasta water.
- Next, prepare your ingredients to create your sauce. Steam cauliflower florets until tender, roughly 5-8 minutes. While cauliflower is steaming, smash and sauté garlic cloves with a splash of oil or veggie broth until fragrant. Alternatively, you can use this oil-free roasted garlic.
- Add cauliflower, garlic and all remaining sauce ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth. If necessary, you can add additional soy milk or pasta water to achieve desired sauce texture. Season with salt and pepper to taste, using a liberal amount of pepper (remember, this is a lemon pepper pasta 😉).
- Pour blended sauce into a saucepan over medium heat, stirring and simmering for a few minutes. Add cooked pasta to the saucepan, and gently stir to coat, adding pasta water by the tablespoon as necessary and enjoy!
*I highly recommend cashew butter for this recipe, as tahini has a stronger flavour and distinct bitter profile. Make sure you use a single ingredient cashew butter and be sure to use one without added flavour (vanilla, or sweetener).
Keywords: pasta, summer, main dishes, gluten free, oil free, blender, wfpb