This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
Make a bright green, nutrient-packed bowl of vegan Asparagus Zucchini Soup with fresh greens, herbs and vegetable broth.
When your soup is springy and green, but also creamy and comforting like this one, it’s always soup season! No matter the time of year, I can’t get enough of this healthy and vibrant Asparagus Zucchini Soup.
I first made this recipe when I was writing my winter wellness guide. Eating more vegetable-packed soups is great for your digestion and an easy way to stay satisfied without feeling weighed down.
Why You’ll Love This Asparagus Soup:
- It’s cozy and warming but light
- Packed with greens
- Delicious for lunch, or a side dish
- 100% vegan
- Refined sugar-free
How to Make Vegan Asparagus Zucchini Soup
To make this recipe, you only need one pot, and a blender (or a hand blender). You could also use a food processor if you have one large enough to handle all your soup. I highly recommend blending as it unlocks all of the flavor in the asparagus, and the zucchini blends to create a really smooth texture.
This Asparagus Zucchini Soup recipe is oil-free, however, you can opt to sauté your initial base ingredients in the pot with a dash of oil if you like. To keep the dish oil-free, I recommend using a splash of veggie broth to help loosen the ingredients and avoid any sticking or burning. Plain water also works well!
For added flavor, you can also season and roast your asparagus beforehand. Doing this will give your soup an added smoky flavor, but it’s completely optional.
Zucchini is the not-so-secret ingredient in this recipe. It blends up beautifully and adds a decadent creamy texture to this soup. In fact, you can get the same creamy texture by adding zucchini to your smoothies.
Asparagus is the nutrient powerhouse of the pair. This springtime green is full of plant protein, fiber, calcium AND iron. Not to mention the naturally robust and delicious flavor.
To enhance the aromatic, allium-rich flavor of the soup, onion, and garlic.
Vegetable broth is all you need to blend this creamy soup into a silky-smooth texture. If you like a richer flavor and texture, you can also substitute some of the broth with coconut milk or blend cashews into the soup to add extra richness.
Meal Prep Creamy Vegan Soup
This recipe is great for meal-prep. You can prep a big batch and either freeze it for up to three months or stash it in the fridge for up to five days. You can eat the soup chilled or warm it in the microwave or on the stove to serve.
Heartier Vegan Asparagus Soup
You can make this Asparagus Zucchini Soup paleo-style (as directed). Or, for a thicker and creamier texture, puree in cooked potatoes or cashews.
You can also add your favorite green veggies of choice. See the recipe notes section below for my recommendations.
As written, this soup is on the lighter side, so if you’d like to serve it as a meal on its own, I recommend adding your favorite pasta. You can cook the pasta separately, then serve the noodles on top. A high-protein chickpea pasta would be a great way to get more plant-based protein into the dish.
More Delicious Vegan Soup Recipes
- Miso Butternut Squash Soup
- Shoyu Ramen
- Miso Mushroom Ramen
- Coconut Green Curry Soup
- Cheezy Vegan Broccoli Soup
If you try this Vegan Asparagus Zucchini Soup recipe, tag me on Instagram @veggiekins so I can see your delicious re-creations and for a chance to be featured! As always, I love when you share your reviews in the comments below, and if you make any fun substitutions, let me know how it worked out below too!
Asparagus Zucchini Soup (vegan, paleo, oil-free)
- 2 large shallots sliced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp dried onion powder
- 2-3 tsp all purpose seasoning of choice I like this mushoom spice blend
- 2 cups asparagus chopped
- 2 cups zucchini diced
- 3 cups veggie broth
- salt and pepper to taste (I really recommend using white pepper for this recipe!)
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- dairy-free yogurt
- chives or sunflower sprouts for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté shallot, garlic, thyme and other spices until fragrant. Shallots should be translucent and lightly golden. Use oil or veggie broth as needed to avoid sticking + burning.
- Add asparagus and zucchini (and cashews if using) to the pot and continue to sauté for about 1-2 minutes. Try not to overcook as you'll lose some of the vibrant colour!
- Next add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, and allow to cook, covered for about 5-8 minutes or until all veggies are fork-tender.
- Transfer everything into a high speed blender or use a hand blender to pulse until smooth. I like to blend completely, but you can pulse until desired texture is reached if you prefer a chunkier soup. Taste the soup and add additional salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with sprouts, chives, dairy free yogurt or a drizzle of olive oil and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
This post may contain affiliate links.