Make tender vegan scallops with king oyster mushrooms in a creamy miso butter sauce with gluten-free pasta for an easy dinner recipe.
- 4–5 large king oyster mushrooms
- 1–2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2–3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tbsp warm water
- splash of sake or white wine, to deglaze (optional)
Garlic Butter Pasta
- 6oz gluten free spaghetti (or 2 servings pasta)
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta cooking water
- 2–3 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- pinch of red chili flakes, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh lemon
- vegan parmesan
- more fresh parsley
- Begin by preparing your pasta according to package directions. Cook until al dente and reserve 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water.
Miso Garlic Butter Scallops
- Meanwhile, slice oyster mushroom stems into slices about 1 or 1 1/2 inch tall. Score one side of your mushroom slice with a crosshatch pattern. Remove mushroom tops and save them for another recipe.
- In a pan, melt butter on medium heat and add grated garlic, sautéing lightly until fragrant. Be sure not to burn the garlic.
- Add mushrooms to the pan, score side down, and cook on low heat for 4-5 minutes. Flip, mushrooms and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown.
- Whisk miso paste with 2 tbsp of warm water to thin, then pour into the pan. Baste scallops with the garlic miso butter sauce and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. If desired, you can deglaze with a splash of sake. Set mushrooms aside.
- In the same pan, or in a new pan, melt vegan butter and add sliced garlic. Add cooked pasta to the pan and toss to coat, adding reserved pasta cooking water by the 1/4 cup if needed.
- Add parsley, chili flakes and salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat.
- Plate garlic butter pasta and top with miso garlic butter scallops. Garnish with vegan parmesan, more fresh parsley and fresh lemon if desired.
Keywords: pasta, main dishes, gluten free, vegan, weeknight meal, entertaining, date night