A comforting Creamy Quinoa Mushroom Bake, perfect for holidays, family meals and meal prep! Vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free.
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 3–4 cups mixed mushrooms, sliced (I used cremini, shiitake and shimeji mushrooms)
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2–3 fresh sage leaves, chiffonaded
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight or at least 3-4 hours
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white miso paste (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- Gluten free breadcrumbs
- Shredded vegan cheese
Prepare cream sauce
- In a high speed blender, add all ingredients and blend until completely smooth. Adjust to taste with additional salt and pepper as desired. Set aside.
(Optional, but recommended step) sauté mushrooms
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add mushrooms and 2-3 tablespoons of water to cook for a few minutes. Once the water has been absorbed, sauté with garlic, shallot, fresh herbs, salt and pepper with a touch of oil if desired. Set aside.
Prepare to bake
- Preheat your oven to 350F and grease or line your baking dish if desired.
- Add cooked quinoa and mushrooms into the dish, and pour sauce over top. Using a spatula, gently stir to combine.
- If you’d like, you can add optional gluten free bread crumbs and shredded vegan cheese to top.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, until the top is lightly golden brown.
- If you would like to make this nut free, you can try substituting cashews with sunflower seeds, or substitute the cream sauce with this tofu based vegan cheese sauce.
- I recommend either lining or greasing your baking dish for easier cleanup after baking. A 9×9 baking dish, or equivalent oven-safe dish will work.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: main dishes
- Method: baking, blending
Keywords: bake, quinoa, casserole, mushrooms, cashews, blender, thanksgiving, holiday