This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
Crunchy Black Bean and Mushroom Taquitos
Crispy corn tortillas stuffed with perfectly spiced black bans and mushrooms–these Black Bean and Mushroom Taquitos are a must try and so easy to make! Taquitos, also called tacos dorados or flautas in Mexico, are rolled tortillas with a filling of choice. From what I’ve been told, they are traditionally fried to crispy perfection, however I’ve created a baked version that’s a little more home-cook friendly, and of course vegan and gluten free! They make a great weeknight meal and they’re actually incredible for meal prep as well. I’m sharing a base recipe that you can definitely play around with and add to, if you’re feeling any fun fillings or spices.
What’s in these Black Bean and Mushroom Taquitos?
- Black beans
- A blend of spices
- Corn tortillas
- Vegan sour cream
- Salsa and/or guac
- Fresh limes
Secrets to success
Be sure to season your beans generously and keep tasting as you go. The best way to customize is to adjust to taste. If you prefer things spicier, go for it! On the other hand if you’re not crazy about spice, you can tone it down too. The filling will be the main source of flavour in these taquitos, so do be sure you like the taste before you commit to rolling up!
To bake, you can use any bake safe dish and place tortillas seam side down. Optionally, you can add a bit of vegan cheese to melt and secure your tortilla seams (and add extra deliciousness!). Trust me though, they’ll hold together once baked with or without the vegan cheese though.
If you like this recipe, try…
- Mushroom Shii-Tacos
- Sweet Potato Cassava Tortillas
- Sweet Potato Sofritas
- Basic Vegan Beans – One Pot
If you try this recipe out, tag me on Instagram @veggiekins so I can see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I love when you share your reviews in the comments below, and if you make any fun substitutions, let me know how it worked out below too.
Black Bean and Mushroom Taquitos (vegan, gluten free)
- 12 6- inch corn tortillas
- 1 can of black beans roughly 15oz, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 small white onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup white button mushrooms chopped
- 1/3 cup diced green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- optional vegan cheese
- To serve
- Avocado or guacamole
- Fresh lime
- Preheat oven to 425F while you prepare the filling.
- In a pan over medium high heat, sauté onions until fragrant and golden brown. Next add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add spices and chiles and use a spatula to keep mixture moving so as not to burn.
- Next add black beans and mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and then use the back of a wooden spoon or a potato masher to slightly smash the bean mixture. It will help to make filling the tortillas easier later on.
- When the mixture is ready, prepare your tortillas by wrapping in a damp kitchen cloth or paper towel and microwaving for roughly 2 minutes until soft. This will allow you to roll the tortillas without them breaking.
- Fill each tortilla with 1-2 spoonfuls of the bean mixture, add a piece of vegan cheese if desired, and roll up. Place seam side down in a baking dish and repeat using the remaining bean mixture.
- Bake tortillas for 10-15 minutes until tortillas are crisp and golden brown. Serve with cashew sour cream, fresh cilantro, salsa, guacamole, fresh lime and any other ingredients of choice.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Pin it for later!