This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
Spicy Tofu Crispy Rice
- air fryer or shallow fry
- rice cooker
- 2 sheet trays quarter or half size
- parchment paper
- 1 1/2 cups rice cooked, short grain white
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar organic cane
- 1/2-1 tsp salt more to taste
- neutral oil
- 16 oz tofu extra firm, high protein
- 3 tbsp vegan kewpie mayo or other vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp gochujang korean red pepper paste
- 1 tsp tamari more to taste
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- salt as needed
- 1 jalapeño thinly sliced
- sesame seeds to taste
Prep the crispy rice
- Gently heat the vinegar, sugar and salt in a small pot or in the microwave and stir until sugar is fully dissolved.
- Add freshly cooked rice to a bowl and pour in the seasoning mixture. Use a spatula or rice paddle to incorporate the mixture into the rice without breaking the rice grains.
- Line the baking sheet trays with parchment paper and then transfer the seasoned rice onto the tray and gently press down to flatten until the rice is about an inch in thickness. Place the second sheet tray on top and press down, then toss into the freezer for 10 minutes or refrigerator for about an hour.
- After chilling, remove the rice from the sheet trays and slice into nigiri sized rectangles.
- Generously spritz or coat with neutral oil then pop into the air fryer at 375F or until crispy. Season with salt after air frying and set aside.
Prepare the spicy tofu
- Pat dry and drain off any excess water from the block of tofu. Start by slicing the tofu into small cubes about a centimeter in thickness. Transfer tofu to a mixing bowl.
- In the same bowl, add all remaining sauce ingredients and use a fork or spatula to mix and incorporate. You can also press down to crush the tofu to create a more tuna-like texture.
Assemble Spicy Tofu Crispy Rice
- To assemble, take one piece of crispy rice and top with a generous tablespoon or more of spicy tofu.
- Top each piece with thinly sliced jalapeño and sesame seeds, to taste.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.