This is the ultimate vegan and gluten-free butternut squash mac and cheese for fall!
- 8–10 oz gluten free pasta of choice, cooked
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 cups butternut squash, finely diced
- 2 tsp neutral oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp miso paste
- 2 cups veg broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1/2 cup pasta water, reserved
crispy garlic and sage crumb
- neutral, high heat oil
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- handful sage leaves
- 1/3 cup crushed cornflakes or gluten free breadcrumbs
- pinch salt
- black pepper, to taste
Garlic and Sage Crumb
- Add about 1/4 cup neutral oil to a small pot, enough to cover the surface. Add the garlic cloves while the oil is cold, then place it over the heat. Stir continuously and keep an eye on the colour. You’re aiming for a light golden brown colour.
- Once garlic starts to brown, immediately remove from the heat with a slotted spoon or pour over a strainer. Set the garlic aside on a paper towel.
- Return the oil to the pot and this time, let it heat up until sizzling. You can test this with a wooden spoon or chopstick–if small bubbles form around it, it’s ready! Toss in sage leaves, let frizzle up for 1 minute then immediately remove from the heat, strain and set aside on a paper towel.
- Transfer the garlic, sage and a pinch of salt to a food processor or a mortar and pestle, crush to break up and then transfer to a bowl and add crushed cornflakes or breadcrumbs. Add a touch of black pepper and stir.
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Start by soaking sunflower seeds in hot water while you prep the rest of the dish.
- Finely dice your butternut squash and reserve 1 cup of cubes. Add neutral oil to a pan over medium high heat and once hot, toss in butternut squash cubes. Let cook for 5-6 minutes, until tender, then toss in a sprig of fresh thyme and salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the remaining squash, yellow onion, garlic cloves and boil until fork tender. Drain the vegetables and transfer to a blender.
- To the blender. add soaked sunflower seeds (drained), nutritional yeast, miso paste, vegetable broth, salt, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Blend until completely smooth and if needed, add in 1/4 cup pasta water to help thin. The mixture should be loose and pourable.
- Add cooked pasta to an oven safe baking dish, pour in the sauce, mix well and then top with your garlic and sage crumb topping. Bake in the oven at 350F for 15-20 minutes, until the top is nice and golden brown.
- Before serving. toss in cooked butternut squash cubes and stir in.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: main dishes
- Method: boiling, blending, baking
Keywords: butternut squash mac and cheese, vegan mac and cheese, gluten free mac and cheese, dairy free mac and cheese, plant based mac and cheese, dairy free gluten free mac and cheese, butternut squash
3 Comments on Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese w/ Crispy Garlic and Sage