This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
Make Pizza Baked Beans for a hearty and comforting one-pot meal that’s vegan, gluten-free and full of rich tomato flavor.
To develop this recipe for pizza baked beans, I was inspired by the viral baked feta pasta dish. It’s an easy one-pan dish that’s packed with plant-based protein. It features baked butter beans in a burst tomato and garlic sauce, fresh herbs, and vegan cheese to finish.
Ingredients for Pizza Baked Beans
Here’s what you need for this simple one-pan meal:
- Cherry tomatoes. You can use all red cherry tomatoes or a mixture of colors.
- Garlic. For a classic Italian pizza flavor.
- Red pepper flakes. You can increase or decrease this according to your preference for spice.
- Tomato paste. Use double-concentrate tomato paste to maximize the umami in the beans.
- Butter beans. You can use any kind of white beans that you like.
- Mozzarella. Use your favorite vegan mozzarella that melts well. I used Parmela creamery vegan mozzarella shreds.
How to Make Pizza Baked Beans
The sauce for these beans starts in the pan by bursting fresh cherry tomatoes and herbs. Then toss in the beans. Finally, stick the pot in the oven to heat everything through, develop the flavors, and melt the cheese. It’s that simple!
Do I Need Dry Beans?
I recommend using canned beans for convenience and to save time. However, you can also use homemade beans. You can also use any white bean variety. However, I love the larger size and texture of butter beans.
These beans are delicious on their own! Or try serving them with a side of fresh bread.
You can also serve the pizza baked beans as a base for toppings just like regular pizza! For example, try adding olives, vegan pepperoni, mushrooms, or eggplant.
More Recipes with Beans
- Chilled Korean Soybean Soup (Kong Guksu)
- Korean Kale and White Bean Soup (vegan, gluten free)
- Doenjjang Jiggae – Korean Fermented Soybean Stew (vegan, gluten free)
If you make these vegan Pizza Baked Beans, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
Pizza Baked Beans (vegan, gluten free)
- 24 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp double concentrated tomato paste
- 2 15 ounce cans of butter beans or other white bean of choice, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp salt more to taste
- handful vegan mozzarella cheese to top
- more fresh basil to garnish
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Preheat your oven to 475F degrees.
- In an oven-safe pan or skillet, heat olive oil to a sizzle and add cherry tomatoes. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, using a spatula to turn occasionally, or shaking the pan. The tomatoes should start to wrinkle.
- At this point you should be able to start to crush your tomatoes with ease. Use your spatula to break it down until nice and jammy then add garlic, chili flakes and oregano, if using, and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Stir in your tomato paste.
- Add your beans and basil to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes on low heat, using your spatula to make sure everything is nice and coated. Add salt to taste.
- Finish with vegan cheese to top and place in the oven to melt down the cheese. It may help to cover the pan in the oven to steam as vegan cheese can be trickier to melt down.
- Garnish with fresh basil and enjoy by the spoonful or serve with crusty bread of choice.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.