This Hojicha Tiramisu recipe is a coffee-free alternative to a classic dessert dish and it’s dairy free and gluten free, too! Made with a base of vegan and gluten free cookies soaked in toasty hojicha and creamy layers of sweet vanilla vegan cream, it’s hard to resist this no-bake treat.
- 300 grams vegan and gluten free cookie of choice (I used Partake Foods cookie butter cookies which are vegan and gluten free)
- 2 tbsp hojicha powder, plus 1 tbsp for dusting
- 1/3 cup filtered hot water
- 15oz vegan cream cheese
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup maple syrup (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Start by preparing your hojicha concentrate. Whisk 2 tbsp hojicha powder with 1/3 cup filtered hot, but not boiling water with a bamboo whisk until smooth. Alternatively, you can brew 2-3 tbsp of dry hojicha tea leaves but I find that the powder breeds a stronger concentrated flavour.
- In your baking dish, add a layer of cookies to cover the base. Then, using a pastry brush, brush on the hojicha mixture until each cookie is soaked.
- Next, whip up your cream cheese filling by whisking cream cheese, maple syrup, coconut milk, vanilla and salt until smooth. Adjust sweetness to taste if needed.
- Using a spatula, spread a layer of the cream cheese filling on top of the cookie base layer.
- Repeat with another layer of soaked cookies, and another layer of cream filling.
- Cover and let sit in the fridge for about 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, mix cocoa powder and 1 tbsp hojicha powder in a metal sieve and dust over the top of your tiramisu! Slice and serve.