This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
This French Butter Radish Terrine is a pretty dairy-free topper to take your toast to the next level.
What is a Terrine?
Traditionally, a terrine is a french loaf made with ground meat, spices and seasonings. It’s sliced and used as a spread or eaten like meatloaf. This vegan version is a butter terrine featuring fresh, crisp butter radishes. So you can skip the meat grinding!
Ingredients for French Butter Terrine
Unlike more classic French terrine recipes, the ingredient list for this vegan version is short and sweet. Here’s what you need:
- Butter. Use unsalted vegan butter. It should be at room temperature, but avoid spread-style butters, which will melt at room temperature.
- Radishes. Kook for small, adorable breakfast radishes. If you can’t find them, another variety will work.
- Flaky salt. This will need some seasoning, and I love the crunch of a high-quality flaky salt.
How to make French Butter Radish Terrine
don’t be intimidated by the name. It’s easier than you might think to make this pretty vegan terrine.
Press the radishes gently into the butter so it stays in place and stands upright. Fill the gaps in the pan with the remaining butter, pushing it into the cracks with a small spatula. Cover and refrigerate for three hours.
How to Serve a Butter Terrine
When you’re ready to enjoy your masterpiece, remove the butter from the pan with the parchment paper. Slice it into thin slices and spread on toast or crackers!
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes
- Cinnamon Date Breakfast Buckwheat Porridge (vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free)
- Apple Pie French Toast (vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free)
- Matcha Cashew Butter on Toast (vegan, oil free, paleo, keto)
If you make this vegan French butter radish terrine, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
French Butter Radish Terrine (Dairy Free)
- 330 grams unsalted dairy free butter*, room temp
- 10-15 small breakfast radishes
- flaky salt
- parchment paper
- First begin by preparing your loaf pan. Use a standard sized pan and concentrate your mixture in one corner, or use a mini loaf pan. Line with parchment paper.
- Dice your butter finely and let sit at room temp until soft and workable, then smooth with a spatula in a mixing bowl.
- Prepare radish by washing and patting dry. Slice off both ends to create cylindrical shapes.
- Spread a layer of butter at the bottom of your loaf pan enough to hold the radish. Press it gently into the butter layer so they stand upright. Fill in all of the gaps with remaining butter using a small offset spatula or other utensil and do your best to pack it tightly so no air bubbles remain.
- Once packed, refrigerate for 3 hours minimum, or overnight.
- When ready to slice, remove from the loaf pan using the parchment paper and then square off any rough edges. Slice into thick squares or rectangles and serve with bread and a sprinkle of salt.
- Opt for a firm vegan butter versus a "spread" as spread will typically become liquid at room temp.
- Recipe adapted from Janet Keeler's Radish Butter Terrine featured on Edible Tampa Bay. Method and quantities were adjusted.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.