Butternut Squash Dip with Roasted Garlic and Thyme (vegan, gluten free)
This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
Butternut Squash Dip with Roasted Garlic and Thyme is a must-have party appetizer with just seven ingredients to serve at your holiday gathering.
I love the holidays because it’s a time to celebrate and enjoy so much delicious food. Not to mention, the in-season produce this time of year is so good. Squash, citrus, hearty greens, and apples are so fun to cook with and you can go easily from sweet to savory using just the in-season fruits and vegetables.
This butternut squash dip with roasted garlic and sage is a perfect example of how good the sweet and savory combination is. Serve it at your next holiday get-together and watch it disappear in a blink!
You only need six ingredients (plus salt and pepper) to make this creamy vegan dip:
- Garlic. Use a whole head! Roasting it cuts out the harsh, bitey flavor and turns it into a caramelized, almost sweet taste.
- Shallots. Extra aromatics! We’ll be roasting these as well.
- Roasted butternut squash purée. This also turns sweet and caramelized in the oven.
- Tahini. For a rich, nutty flavor.
- Thyme. Use fresh if you can, or 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves
- Oil. Drizzle a tasty oil on top of your dip to add shine and a richer flavor.
Making Vegan Butternut Dip
Start making this dip by roasting the garlic and shallots. You can also roast the butternut squash at the same time.
Then, you’ll just need a high-speed blender or a food processor to turn everything into a creamy and smooth purée.
For added richness, you can drizzle in some tahini or olive oil until you reach a thick and creamy texture.
What to Serve with Butternut Squash Dip
Serve this dip as a pre-dinner appetizer to keep guests from getting too peckish. I like to serve this butternut dip with:
- Simple Sourdough Discard Crackers (vegan, gluten free)
- Healthy Vegan Cheez Its (gluten-free, oil free, high protein)
- Fresh carrots, celery and endive
Make-Ahead Vegan Butternut Squash Dip
This appetizer is a great way to get ahead for the holidays. You can prepare the entire dip up to two days ahead of time. Let it come to room temperature for 30 minutes or so before serving, then drizzle the dip with olive oil and add your favorite dipping snacks!
More Dips to Serve for the Holidays
- Eggplant Dip with Miso Tahini Sauce
- Miso White Bean Dip (vegan, gluten free, oil free)
- Miso Sweet Potato Dip (probiotic, vegan, gluten free)
If you make this Butternut Squash Dip, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
Butternut Squash Dip with Roasted Garlic and Sage (vegan, gluten free)
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 shallots quartered
- 1 1/2 cups roasted butternut squash purée
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 sprigs thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- neutral oil or olive oil
- Roast your aromatics
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees.
- Slice the top of your garlic head off to expose just the tops of the garlic cloves. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper and wrap tightly in aluminum foil.
- Toss your quartered shallots in a touch of oil, salt and pepper and wrap in foil as well. Bake both your garlic and shallots in the oven for about 25 minutes until tender and fragrant.
- Assemble the dip
- In a food processor or blender, add squash purée, tahini, thyme (stems removed) and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Squeeze the garlic out of the head into the food processor and add your roasted shallots.
- Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of your processor or blender unit as needed. If you'd like to get it extra creamy, you can also stream in olive oil as you process until desired texture is achieved.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper, and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.