- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup sago (small pearl tapioca)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/4–1/3 cup maple syrup, or coconut sugar*
- pinch of salt
to garnish (optional)
- red papaya
- red grapefruit
- golden raspberries
- toasted coconut flakes
- coconut condensed milk
- mango chunks
- In a large pot, bring 5 cups water to a boil. Add your sago pearls and cook according to package directions, stirring frequently. Pearls should become clear once fully cooked.
- Drain and rinse your pearls in a fine mesh strainer with cold water, then return to the pot. Add coconut milk (adjust to your desired consistency, use less for a thicker pudding, use more for more of a sago soup), along with maple syrup or coconut sugar and salt to taste. Keep in mind the sago will thicken up as it sits, so add more coconut milk than you think you’ll need.
- At this point, you can add mashed papaya, grapefruit and pomelo chunks into the pot to add flavour, or you can simply serve as toppings.
- Finally, transfer mixture into a large bowl and allow to chill in the fridge. To serve, garnish with toppings of choice.