Almond Butter Rice Krispie Treats (vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free)
This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
Easy Almond Butter Rice Krispie Treats!
I’ve shared a simple, Matcha Rice Krispie treat recipe in the past, which calls for vegan marshmallows but these Almond Butter Rice Krispie Treats are made without them! This is a great option if vegan marshmallows are not easily accessible to you, or you simply prefer something with a simpler ingredient list.
The recipe calls for almond butter (as the name might suggest), maple syrup and a handful of other ingredients. It’s a dessert that loves you back with healthy fats and sweetness from a refined sugar free source without sacrificing taste or texture. You’ll still get that dreamy crunch from the rice cereal, and you can even top it off with a drizzle of dairy free dark chocolate.
To spice things up, I threw in a little bit of pumpkin spices into the mix, however you can also add cinnamon or other spices of choice to give it a kick. It’s optional, if you prefer something a little more simple but the possibilities are endless if you’re feeling adventurous.
You can make this recipe using either a microwave or on the stovetop. I’ll share both options in the recipe notes so you can take your pick!
So what’s in these Almond Butter Rice Krispie Treats?
- Creamy natural almond butter
- Maple syrup
- Pumpkin spices
- Brown rice cereal
Secrets to success
The most important (and difficult) step in this recipe is to let it chill in the fridge for half an hour or so, but I promise it’s worth waiting! For bars that will hold together better, it’s essential and will make slicing your bars much easier too.
If you don’t have almond butter, you can use cashew butter, peanut butter and most other nut/seed butters. Just make sure it is an unsweetened, single ingredient butter for best results!
If you like this recipe, try…
- Matcha Rice Krispies
- Ultimate Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Maple Tahini Cookies
- Apple Crumble Loaf
- Spicy Almond Butter Noodles
If you try this recipe out, tag me on Instagram @veggiekins so I can see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I love when you share your reviews in the comments below, and if you make any fun substitutions, let me know how it worked out below too.
Almond Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 3/4 cup creamy natural almond butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice or cinnamon more to taste
- pinch of salt
- 3-4 cups brown rice cereal
- In a saucepan or microwave safe bowl, whisk together almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, pumpkin spice and salt. If using a saucepan, bring to a low simmer and constantly stir, cooking to reduce down the mixture slightly. If using a microwave, microwave for 30 seconds, remove and whisk and repeat 2 more times.
- Once your mixture is slightly reduced and a little bit thicker in texture, slowly add in cereal a cup at a time. Start with less and add more as you go, in order to avoid ending up with a mixture with too much cereal (it won't hold together if this happens, as it will be too dry).
- Transfer the mixture into a lined 8x8 dish, gently pressing down and flattening. Optionally, drizzle with melted dark chocolate then pop into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to set. Slice and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.