A traditional Australian/Kiwi cookie (biscuit) made healthier! These healthy Anzac biscuits are also gluten-free, vegan, and refined-sugar-free. They are oaty, coconutty, thin cookies with a crisp edge and they’re absolutely delicious! My recipe calls for just 8 ingredients and takes about 20-25 minutes from start to finish!
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 3/4 cup dessicated coconut
- 3/4 cup superfine oat flour (buckwheat flour or all purpose flour also works)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or use brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (or use vegan butter)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, or golden syrup
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees while you prepare your batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oats, coconut, flour and sugar. Separately, dissolve baking soda in hot water.
- Melt coconut butter until liquid, and add maple syrup to combine over low heat. Add this wet mixture to dry ingredients and use a spatula or hands to combine. Add dissolved baking soda liquid and mix until a dough forms. If the mixture feels dry, you can add hot water by the half tablespoon as needed.
- Take about 2 heaped tablespoons of dough and form large circular cookie shapes. Flatten with the bottom of a glass cup, or use your hands to thin out. Bake cookies for 10-13 minutes (mine were ready at about 11 minutes) and let cool completely before enjoying.
Secrets to Success
- For the flour, you can use buckwheat flour, oat flour, or regular all-purpose flour (if you’re not allergic to gluten). I’ve tried chickpea flour, which works, but does add a slight extra nutty-ness to the recipe.
- As always, I recommend using a non-stick baking mat to line your baking trays for the best results. It will not only ensure an even bake but also makes for less clean-up and no cookies stuck to the pan! As an alternative, use parchment paper (baking paper).
- I made my cookies fairly large, with 2 heaped tablespoons of dough per cookie. If you do the same, make sure to flatten the cookie so it bakes evenly!
- Feel free to add additional bake time if you prefer your cookies more on the crisp side.
- Store your healthy Anzac biscuits in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: desserts, cookies
- Method: baking
Keywords: vegan, australian, new zealand, healthy anzac biscuits, gluten free, refined sugar free, holiday