A traditional Australian/Kiwi cookie made healthy and vegan! These healthy vegan Anzac cookies are gluten free, refined sugar free and oil free.
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 3/4 cup dessicated coconut
- 3/4 cup superfine oat flour (buckwheat flour or all purpose flour also works)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or use brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, melted (or sub cacao butter or coconut oil*)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, or golden syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees while you prepare your batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oats, coconut, flour and sugar. Separately, dissolve baking soda in hot water.
- Melt coconut butter until liquid, and add maple syrup to combine over low heat. Add this wet mixture to dry ingredients and use a spatula or hands to combine. Add dissolved baking soda liquid and mix until a dough forms. If the mixture feels dry, you can add hot water by the half tablespoon as needed.
- Take about 2 heaped tablespoons of dough and form large circular cookie shapes. Flatten with the bottom of a glass cup, or use your hands to thin out. Bake cookies for 10-13 minutes (mine were ready at about 11 minutes) and let cool completely before enjoying.
- I made my cookies fairly large, with 2 heaped tablespoons of dough per cookie. If you do the same, make sure to flatten the cookie so it bakes evenly!
- Feel free to add additional bake time if you prefer your cookies more on the crisp side.
Keywords: vegan, australian, new zealand, anzac, cookies, dessert, oil free, gluten free, refined sugar free, holiday