protein packed chocolate chip chickpea blondies!
This isn’t your average blondie, it’s a high protein, chocolate chip chickpea blondie. I know what you might be thinking–chickpeas?! Trust me when I say they are undetectable in this dessert, and add an amazing moist texture and a boost of fiber and plant protein. Especially if you’re not a big fan of eating beans, this is a delicious way to sneak them into your diet. They make for a great dessert that’s easy on the tummy and won’t end in a sugar crash, or an on-the-go bite for when the hunger strikes. Best of all, they are kid approved too! They won’t even know they’re eating beans, so if you’ve got picky eaters in your life, I got you.
These chocolate chip chickpea blondies are made with a handful of simple ingredients like chickpeas, oats, almond butter (nut-free sub below) and maple syrup.
- This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, oil free, refined sugar free and whole food plant based. It’s meal prep friendly and also stores in the fridge or freezer really nicely.
- Chickpeas → add a great protein boost to this recipe, but also fiber, folate, iron, copper and magnesium. I guess you could say this blondie is pretty nutrient dense!
- Oats → are also very rich in nutrients, and antioxidants. Like chickpeas, they’re packed with fiber and also help to provide sustained energy. If you’re gluten-free, be sure to use certified gluten-free oats, and if you can’t use oats, try quinoa flakes as a substitute.
secrets to successful chocolate chip chickpea blondies
To make this recipe, you can opt for homemade chickpeas if you’d prefer–I just used canned chickpeas for convenience. You can remove the skins of the chickpeas if you’d like, but I found little to no difference in texture between the 2 batches I tested. I recommend a no-salt-added can of chickpeas, if using canned that is, and preferably with only one ingredient (chickpeas).
I know it’s tempting to skip the “wait until it cools” part, but I highly recommend giving it at least 15-20 minutes before slicing or enjoying. It will give your blondies a little time to firm up, so they won’t fall apart when you pick them up. If you want to enjoy it molten however, then by all means, throw some vegan ice cream on top and enjoy warm.
I baked these in a 5×10 loaf pan because the batter ended up not being enough to fill an 8×8 or 10×10 square dish. Using a smaller pan is better for achieving a thicker blondie, which I personally prefer for best texture, and gooey chocolate chips in each bite. If you use a larger pan, you’ll want to decrease your bake time to make sure you don’t overcook them.
if you like this recipe, try…
If you try this recipe out, tag me on Instagram @veggiekins so I can see your delicious re-creations and for a chance to be featured! As always, I love when you share your reviews in the comments below, and if you make any fun substitutions, let me know how it worked out below too! Print
Healthy chocolate chip chickpea blondies that make for a great snack or dessert. Rich in plant protein, these bars are vegan, gluten-free, oil free, and refined sugar free.
- Preheat your oven to 350F while you prepare your blondie batter.
- Add chickpeas, nut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, baking soda and cinnamon to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Next add flax egg, and rolled oat and pulse to combine. At this point, you can give your batter a taste to check that sweetness is to your liking.
- Stir in vegan chocolate chips and transfer batter to a parchment paper lined baking pan. Use the back of a spatula to evenly flatten out the batter, and smooth the top of your blondies.
- Bake for roughly 20 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and use a toothpick to test whether the inside is cooked through. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes as needed.
- Let cool before cutting, and enjoy!
*if using canned chickpeas, unsalted chickpeas in water will be your best bet. optionally, you can remove the skin of the chickpeas for a smoother result.
Keywords: chickpeas, healthy baking, blondies, chocolate chip, desserts, vegan, gluten free, oil free, refined sugar free
This post may contain affiliate links.