This Holiday Harvest Rice is a heartwarming and herby that’s perfect for the holiday table. Or you know, any table year round! Vegan and gluten free.
- 1/4 cup long grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup white or tri-colour quinoa
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 2 1/3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, minced
- 3/4 cup carrots, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz mushrooms of choice (I used button, oyster and shiitake)
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, stems removed
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1/2 large apple, diced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1–2 tbsp vegan butter*
- Add grains and vegetable broth to a saucepan and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat, cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes. Once grains are ready, give them a gentle fluff and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion, shallot, celery and carrots with a touch of neutral oil until tender. Add garlic, mushrooms, herbs and gluten free soy sauce and sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked grains to the mix and gently fold to evenly combine all of your ingredients. Finally add apples to warm for a few minutes. If using vegan butter, toss into the rice until melted and nicely incorporated. Taste, and season your rice with salt and pepper as desired.
- When ready to serve, toss pomegranate seeds into the rice and enjoy!
*Adding the vegan butter gives the dish a nice extra oomph and richness. You can exclude it if you’d like.
Keywords: rice, quinoa, grains, sides, holiday, thanksgiving, christmas, dinner, meal prep