Vegan Matcha Frappe (Healthy Copycat Recipe!)
A healthy, flavourful, and delicious vegan matcha frappe, made with whole food plant-based ingredients, no refined sugars, and a sneaky serving of veggies.
Servings: 2 servings
- 1 cup frozen non-dairy milk ice cubes do this beforehand*
- 1 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder I like this brand of matcha
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean pod, scraped
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup one date, or one frozen ripe banana
- 1/2 cup cubed frozen zucchini
- vegan rice whip or coconut whip to serve
Prepare your matcha by whisking together matcha powder and hot water until no clumps remain. This will help to rid of any clumps in your drink once blended.
In a high power blender, add ice cubes, frozen zucchini (if using), non-dairy milk, whisked matcha, vanilla and sweetener of choice. Blend until chunks are broken down and you are left with an even texture. If you'd like to thin out your drink, you can add additional non-dairy milk to blend. I recommend using a tamper to help break down any finicky ice chunks.
Taste and adjust by adding additional sweetener if desired. Serve with vegan whipped rice cream or coconut cream.
Secrets to Success
- Pre-freeze the non-dairy milk of choice in an ice cube tray. This will result in a creamier drink that will not water down as it melts.
- For non-dairy milk, I typically like to use almond milk or oat milk because they have the most neutral flavour. You can always try coconut milk, but keep in mind that it might alter the flavor a bit.
- I like to use this brand of matcha because it's high quality and full of that bold matcha flavour. You can always add more or less matcha to your drink if you're a caffeine fiend.
- Finally, let's address the zucchini. I considered adding zucchini because I love using frozen zucchini in my smoothies. It's neutral in flavour, but a great way to add texture and veg to any frozen drink. It's completely optional but great for anyone looking to sneak in something extra. Think of it this way: it's a health upgrade from using plain ice cubes, and either will work!
- If you want to add even more nutrition to this drink, add a scoop of your favourite vegan protein powder for an even healthier pick-me-up.