These are the best garlic sesame tofu sticks to make at home with baked tofu in a soy, chili, and maple-based sauce.
- 16 oz extra firm, high protein tofu
- 3 tbsp filtered water
- 2–3 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- scallions, sliced diagonally
- toasted white and black sesame seeds
- Preheat your oven to 400F while you prepare your tofu.
- Slice tofu into sticks into 2-inch thick planks. Lightly pat away any excess moisture if needed and transfer into a shallow container.
- Whisk together water and cornstarch to create a slurry and then add to a bowl alongside all other sauce ingredients. Whisk until smooth, then pour this marinade over the tofu and let sit for about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Transfer the tofu sticks into a lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Pour the remaining marinade into a shallow pan on low heat, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens slightly and turns into a nice glaze. Turn off the heat, add the tofu sticks into the pan and toss to coat.
- Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes