Orzo and Peas
- 8 oz orzo (I used this gluten free variety)
- 1 1/2 cups shelled peas
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup olive oil (or use 1/4 cup cultured oil and 1/4 cup olive oil)
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic
- salt, to taste
- broccoli sprouts or other microgreens
- toasted hazelnut, microplaned or use vegan cheese
- black pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and generously salt the water. Cook your orzo according to package directions, strain and toss with a touch of neutral oil or vegan butter to avoid sticking.
- Next, to prepare your pesto, add pumpkin seeds, basil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and garlic to start. Pulse until everything is nicely broken down. Add half of your oil as your blend, then the remaining half. You may need to use a spatula to scrape down the walls of your food processor in between.
- Add salt to taste, then add the pesto to your cooked orzo and toss.
- In a separate pan, add olive oil and sauté garlic until fragrant. Add your fresh peas and sauté for another 2-3 minutes until lightly golden brown. Add salt to taste, then add peas to the orzo and toss again.
- To serve, top with microgreens, grated hazelnut or vegan cheese and black pepper to finish.