This is the easiest and best recipe for Kombu Dashi, a Japanese staple broth that adds umami and oomph to your favorite Asian recipes. It’s made completely vegan using dried mushrooms, fresh veggies, and kombu for a healthy, delicious stock for soups and more!
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 inch piece of dried kombu or kelp
- 6 cups water
- stalk of 1 medium sized leek
- 5 green onions, stalks only
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 yellow or white onion
- 1 cup radish, peeled and diced (optional)
- Begin by adding water to a large pot. Toss in your shiitake mushrooms and kombu or kelp and let the dry ingredients re-hydrate and soak for at least an hour. Overnight is great, if you have the time!
- Now we’re ready to incorporate our other ingredients. Add the leek, carrot, green onion, onion and radish if using and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use within 4-5 days.
- To freeze, store in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: kombu dashi, vegan dashi