This Everything Bagel Chili Crisp has the savory, garlic and sesame flavors mixed with classic Chinese chili crisp for spice on any meal!
- 2/3 cup neutral oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp gochugaru
- 2 tbsp aleppo pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tsp flaky salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil, more to taste
Toasting your sesame seeds
- In a dry pan, toast sesame seeds for 2-3 minutes, shaking frequently, until nice and golden and aromatic. Remove from heat and set aside.
Infusing the oil and frying the crispy elements
- First, we’re going to fill a small saucepan with cold oil. Add thinly sliced shallots to the pot while cold, and wait until you achieve a nice sizzle. Once the shallots are golden brown in colour, remove them from the pot with a slotted spoon. Set aside on a paper towel lined tray.
- Strain the oil to remove any remaining sediment and return the oil to the pot. Next add your garlic to the oil and again, wait for a nice sizzle and look for a golden brown colour. Remove with a slotted spoon, set aside the garlic on a paper towel lined tray and strain the oil again.
Assembling the crisp
- Prepare a large, heat safe bowl with your poppy seeds, toasted sesame seeds, chili flakes and salt.
- Pour the strained oil into a pot once again, and this time we’re looking to heat our oil to 225-245F. It’s best to use a thermometer if you have one, but if not, test it by dropping in a small piece of vegetable trim, or a sesame seed to see if it fries up.
- Once the temperature is achieved, carefully pour it over your ingredients in the bowl. It should start to sizzle up and bubble. After a few minutes, stir to make sure all of the ingredients hit the oil. Now let sit for about 20-30 minutes, until bubbling stops and the oil cools.
- While the chili oil is infusing, gently crush your fried garlic and onion pieces with your palm or using a knife. Add both to your chili oil and stir to combine.
- Finally, add your toasted sesame oil if desired, stir again to combine and if needed, add additional salt as you see fit.
- Let cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes