Matcha Coquito mocktails with coconut milk and cream make the perfect non-alcoholic Christmas drink.
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean pod or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups non-alcoholic “rum”, if using
- 1 (11oz) can sweetened coconut condensed milk
- 1 (15oz) can coconut cream*
- 1 (13oz) can of coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1–2 tbsp ceremonial grade matcha powder
- 4 oz golden raisins
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut meat*
- Infuse the rum with cinnamon sticks, vanilla bean and raisins. Let sit for about 1 hour. After infusing, remove cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean pod. If you are not using the rum alternative, please reference the recipe notes.
- Sift your matcha powder, if using. and whisk with a small amount of hot water until smooth. See: Ultimate Guide to Making Matcha at Home
- Blend matcha with your condensed milk, coconut cream, coconut milk, spices and coconut meat, if using, until smooth. Pour into a bottle or large jar along with your rum and raisin mixture and shake to combine.
- Chill your mixture in the fridge until ready to serve. To serve, be sure to shake vigorously first.
- For presentation, you can rim your glasses with shredded coconut, garnish with cinnamon sticks, an extra dusting of matcha and/or cinnamon.
- Base coquito recipe adapted from The Novice Chef Blog and Simply Recipes to be made dairy free, vegan and non-alcoholic.
- Traditional coquito recipes call for cream of coconut, which is a thick, sweetened coconut cream with chunks of coconut meat in it. I opted to omit this ingredient as it is sweet enough with the addition of coconut condensed milk, but if you’d like to add coconut meat to replicate the thick texture, you can absolutely add that!
- If you opt not to use a “rum” alternative, simply infuse your cinnamon sticks, vanilla bean and raisins into your coconut milk over low heat instead.
- If you’d like to make this drink refined sugar free, remove the coconut condensed milk and instead sweeten with maple, to taste. Note that this will likely lighten up the texture of the drink.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: drinks