This healthy wild rice delicata squash with roasted cranberries, dried cranberries and fresh herbs is a must-have vegan and gluten free holiday side dish.
- 1/4 cup long grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup white or tri-colour quinoa
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 2 1/3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 delicata squash
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup celery, minced
- 2/3 cup carrots, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, stems removed
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 tsp neutral oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1–2 tbsp vegan butter*
- Begin by preparing your grains. Add all your grains and vegetable both to a pot and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cover until cooked, about 20-30 minutes. Take off the heat and fluff with a fork.
Roast your delicata squash
- Slice your delicata squash into rings, then halve the rings and remove any seeds and pulp.
- Place onto a lined baking sheet, toss with neutral oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven at 375F for about 15-20 minutes, until squash is fork tender and nice and golden brown.
Roast your cranberries
- When you have about 10 minutes of roasting your squash remaining, toss fresh cranberries in neutral oil and maple syrup. Let roast until soft.
- In a large saucepan, sauté shallot, celery and carrots with a touch of neutral oil until tender. Add garlic, fresh herbs and gluten free soy sauce and sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked grains to the mix and gently fold to evenly combine all of your ingredients. Finally add roasted squash and dried cranberries and sauté again. If using vegan butter, toss into the rice until melted and nicely incorporated. Taste, and season your rice with salt and pepper as desired.
- When ready to serve, toss dried cranberries into the rice and enjoy!