This vegan sweet corn risotto is creamy, sweet, savory and topped with roasted shallots.
- 3/4 cup arborio rice
- 3 ears sweet corn
- 4 shallots, quartered
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chives, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400F and prepare your shallots by quartering them and placing on a piece of foil. Lift the sides and crimp to create a small bowl, then drizzle with 2 tsp oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover with another piece of foil to seal. Roast for 15-30 minutes or until nice and caramelized.
- In a small pot, bring veggie broth to a boil.
- In another pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, corn and season with salt and pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Next scrape the cob of the corn with a knife to extract any remaining juice and add to the pan along with rice and cook for another few minutes until rice is translucent.
- Start adding the veggie broth to the rice in 1/2 cup intervals, stirring each time until rice has absorbed the liquid. Repeat until broth is all incorporated and rice is tender and creamy.
- When the shallot is cooked through, stir it into the risotto along with nutritional yeast and vegan butter if using. Season to taste and enjoy.
Keywords: risotto, rice, corn risotto, vegan risotto, dairy free risotto, roasted shallots