This rich vegan risotto is full of bold summer flavour thanks to sweet corn and melt-in-your-mouth roasted shallots. It comes together in 1 pan (and some foil) and makes for a hearty lunch or dinner. It’s dairy-free risotto with fresh, summery notes.
- 3/4 cup arborio rice
- 3 ears sweet corn
- 4 shallots, quartered
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chives, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400F and prepare your shallots by quartering them and placing on a piece of foil. Lift the sides and crimp to create a small bowl, then drizzle with 2 tsp oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover with another piece of foil to seal. Roast for 15-30 minutes or until nice and caramelized.
- In a small pot, bring veggie broth to a boil.
- In another pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, corn and season with salt and pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Next scrape the cob of the corn with a knife to extract any remaining juice and add to the pan along with rice and cook for another few minutes until rice is translucent.
- Start adding the veggie broth to the rice in 1/2 cup intervals, stirring each time until rice has absorbed the liquid. Repeat until broth is all incorporated and rice is tender and creamy.
- When the shallot is cooked through, stir it into the risotto along with nutritional yeast and vegan butter if using. Season to taste and enjoy.
Making the Best Roasted Shallots
We are roasting shallots in the oven so they can cook down while we prepare the risotto. I find this method to be the most time efficient, so you can start to work on adding broth to the risotto while it roasts, and it’s also the most hands-off!
Simply quarter your shallots, toss with oil, season with salt and pepper, and let roast covered in foil until nice, soft, and aromatic. The flavours you’ll unlock are to die for.
Get creative and consider layering on the flavour! Mix in some umami or acidity into the risotto, serve with meaty mushrooms, or garnish with some bright summer flavours.
- chives to garnish
- white miso paste can be added to the rice for extra umami
- a grating of vegan parmesan cheese to top
- grilled mushrooms
- fresh lemon juice
- parsley, and other fresh herbs, to taste
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat over the stovetop with a little olive oil or vegan butter to break up any clumps. You can also reheat in the microwave if desired.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: main dishes
- Method: sautéing
Keywords: vegan risotto, dairy free risotto, roasted shallots