Make popped sorghum with an environmentally-friendly grain and your favorite seasonings for an easy homemade gluten-free and corn-free snack.
- 2 tbsp sorghum, more as desired
- reusable silicone bag, or paper bag
- neutral oil, as needed
- salt, to taste
- seasonings of choice
- Add sorghum to a reusable silicone bag or paper sandwich bag with the top folded down a few times until secure. If desired, add a touch of neutral oil and shake to coat.
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes on reduced wattage (I did about 50%, as the kernels are smaller and more prone to burning), time will vary by microwave. Listen for popping and once the popping starts to slow, stop the microwave.
- Add seasoning to the bag and shake to coat. Enjoy!
- Add neutral oil to cover the bottom of a deep pot (if desired) with a lid and add a single sorghum grain to the pot. Heat on medium and once you hear a pop, add the remaining grains.
- Cover and shake every 30 seconds or so. Once you hear popping, listen for it to slow down and then remove from heat. Let popping trail off, add seasonings of choice and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: snacks
- Method: microwave, stovetop
Keywords: popped sorghum, sorghum, microwave sorghum