Try this zero waste or low waste method of making popcorn at home! It’s an easy, money saving kitchen hack to add to your repertoire using a microwave and plastic free bag. It’s comparable to air popping, as no oil or stovetop is required and you can customize seasonings to your liking.
- 3–4 tablespoons popcorn kernels
- reusable silicone sandwich bag or brown paper bag
- neutral oil (optional)
seasoning recommendations (optional)
- salt to taste
- nutritional yeast
- garlic salt
- truffle salt
- vegan butter flavoured coconut oil
- any other spices of choice
- Add corn kernels to a reusable silicone bag or paper sandwich bag with the top folded down a few times until secure. If desired, add a touch of neutral oil and shake to coat.
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes, time will vary by microwave. Listen for popping and once the popping starts to slow, stop the microwave. I found best results working at 75% microwave power.
- Add seasoning to the bag and shake to coat. Enjoy!
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: snacks
- Method: microwaving
Keywords: popcorn, microwave, sustainability, zero waste popcorn, low waste popcorn